Custom DIY Area Rug From Placemats

$70

Are you looking for an area rug but coming up short on selection? How about designing and creating a custom DIY area rug! This DIY has high end results without the high end price tag. An easy how-to that takes less than an hour! Quick, easy and budget friendly, yes please!

Choose the placemats

Choose placemats you'd like to use for a rug, and if there is room, lay them out on the floor of the aisle to gauge design. I used these placemats for my custom DIY area rug.

To seam the placemats together, use single sided carpet tape. This is the carpet seam tape I recommend.

Remove backing from tape, and place the mat halfway onto the tape, saving the other half for the next mat.

Join next placemat to the first, pressing down on the seam to secure.

Repeat step with another placemat. The placemats making the circumference edge of the rug will be joined on 3 sides to other mats. The center mats will be joined on all 4 sides.

Press the seams together to create a tight fit.

Continue steps until custom placemat rug is completed.

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Brooke Fedigan

• Kgaletin
    Kgaletin

How much did it cost to make this rug?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

The brand of carpet tape that she used is $9.00 a roll, but there is only 15 ft on the roll. Depending on what size of carpet you wanted to assemble, more than one roll may be needed, which would increase the cost of the project.

• Candyhd84
    Candyhd84

How do you keep the rug clean without destroying it? I have a suggestion also. I think I would stitch each peace together.

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

'Just wondering for 28sq ft, what configuration do you have, for example 7X4, and how many mats did you actually use?

• Marilyn Peters
    Marilyn Peters

Aren't most placemats oblong in shape and not square as these are?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

Marilyn,

Yes, most placemats may be oval or round, yet there are some that, as this project clearly shows, are square. The square shape in this thicker material, is often sold as a hotplate mat more so than an individual place setting mat.