How to Hang Stockings Without a Mantel - for Just $15!

$15

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE FOR WEEKLY DIY UPDATES

If you’re like us without a fireplace, you might be figuring out how to hang stockings without a mantel.

I knew when I made the plans for this project that I wanted it to look like a regular photo ledge most of the time but have the ability to hang garlands or stockings or whatever other decorative elements we wanted the rest of the time.

I love this little ledge so much, and it’s a really easy beginner project. I made this one totally out of scrap wood, but the cost would come in at under $15 of wood if you bought the wood as well.

You can read a detailed breakdown of this project HERE.

Cut your wood

The length of your ledge depends on the space you have and how long you want it to be. There’s really no limit on the length, but to fit between the two windows I wanted, mine are about 40”.

Add screws for stockings to hang off of

On the back side of the 1×2 pieces, add five of the 1” screws evenly spaced, but make sure they don’t go in the whole way. Mine stick out probably between ½” and ¼” on the back.You'll need to add these before you attach it to the rest of the ledge

Sand, assemble

Give all of the wood pieces a good sanding on the top and the edges so it’s all smooth, especially the cut ends.Stand the 1×4 upright in the back, then lay the 1×3 along your work area right in front of it, followed by the upright 1×2 in front. Check the photo below to see a visual of how it looks.

Stain

Use whatever stain or paint you’d like and give it all a good coat, paying attention to get all the spots around your concealed screws and in the cracks.

Attach to the wall

An ideal height for artwork on the wall is to have the center at 60” above the ground, but you can adjust to what looks best for your space.

Hang stockings, decorate!

So there you go, now you know how to hang stocking without a mantel! To hang, just loop the top of your stocking around the screws in the back of the 1×2 portion of your ledge.I went with five screws so I could hang three stockings for my family and still had two outer screws for a garland, but you could mix it up and do as many screws as you need or add more if your ledge is longer.

3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas

• Andrea
    Andrea

Brilliant!

• Melinda Record
    Melinda Record

I love this project ~ it's such a classy, clever and fun substitute for a mantel. Too, I like the versatility of this mantel ~ remove the stockings and holiday decorations after Christmas, and this mantel can always be in use for showcasing items.

Thank you for sharing and inspiring!