Make Your Own Mini Firepit Out of Recycled Objects

$10

Winter is here, and that means cold weather. What’s better when it’s cold out than curling up next to a warm fire? It is actually so easy to make your own mini firepit, and you probably already have most of what you need for it, anyway! Check out this tutorial, where I’ll walk you through creating your own gorgeous firepit.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and materials:

• Plastic container
  • Plastic container that fits into the first one
  • Duct tape
  • Knife
  • Oil
  • Paper towel
  • Large container
  • Concrete mix
  • Water
  • Pan
  • Rocks
  • Multi-surface paint
  • Isopropyl alcohol
  • Lighter
Mini firepit
Prepare the mold

Since you’re going to be working with concrete, the first thing you need to do is prepare the mold for it. Grab a plastic container that you no longer need and use duct tape to secure the lid in place. Then you’re going to cut off the bottom of the container. You want to keep the container big, so cut off as little as you can. Then use a paper towel to spread some oil around the container. This will make it easier to remove the mold from the cement once it dries. 

DIY mini firepit
Prepare the cement

Grab a big container and pour in three cups of dry concrete mix. You’re then going to mix in about one cup of water. The amount of water, however, isn’t exact. So pour in a bit of water at a time and mix, adding more water as necessary, until your left with the consistency of pancake batter.

Recycled mini firepot
Pour your concrete

You’re going to want to be able to move the project before it’s fully dry, so I suggest putting the container in a pan or something that you can pick up and move. Place your mold into the pan with the opening facing up, then pour your cement into it until it’s about ¾ of the way full. Squeeze the container to help the bubbles rise to the surface and pop so that your concrete has fewer air bubbles in it.  

Easy mini firepit
Insert the second container

Take the second container and insert it into the first one, creating a well in the cement. Don’t worry about it if some of the cement spills over. Then fill the second container with rocks to weigh it down and keep it in place. Now it’s time to wait for the cement to dry.

Easy DIY mini firepit
Remove the molds

Once your cement is completely dry, it’s time to remove the molds. First, dump out the rocks. Try lifting out the inner mold by squeezing it, but if it gives you any trouble just cut the plastic to remove it. Once that’s out, remove the duct tape and remove the outer mold as well. Once your cement is out of the mold, put on some protective eyewear and sand it down with 20 grit sandpaper. 

How to make an easy firepit
Paint the concrete

If you’re interested in decorating the concrete, now’s the time! I used a metallic multi-surface paint. You can use some painter’s tape to tape off a design, but I decided to do a random imperfect line to give it a marble effect. You can also add some feet to the bottom, or cut out a circle of wood to go under it. Get creative with how you want it to look. 

DIY recycled mini firepit
Pour in alcohol

To make the fire, you’re going to pour alcohol into the cement pit. You want to use isopropyl, or rubbing, alcohol in the highest percentage of alcohol you can find. The higher the alcohol percentage, the cleaner it will burn. You don’t need to use a ton of alcohol, but the more you use the longer the fire will last.

Make your own mini firepit
Light your firepit

All that’s left to do now is to light the alcohol on fire, and you’ve got a beautiful mini firepit. Be careful of kids and pets! To extinguish the fire all you need to do is stifle the flame by covering the pit and it will go out. You can also put a candle inside of the pit instead of the alcohol! 

Beautiful mini firepit

That’s it, you guys! I love this project. I just think it’s so pretty. These would make such a great centerpiece for tables for an outdoor event, or indoors in the winter. No matter what you use it for, it will be gorgeous. You can customize this in so many ways, depending on the containers you choose as your molds and the way you decorate it, so definitely show me your versions in the comments!  

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Welcome to the Woods

• Leslie Packwood
    Leslie Packwood

Assuming you could plug the drain hole, could a clay flowerpot work?

• Ges49554326
    Ges49554326

Would a Sterno work as well for the flame?

• Kristi Hasler
    Kristi Hasler

Ok I’m super sad... mine CRUMBLED as I took it out of the mold ... what did I do wrong ????

• Kelly
      Kelly

My guess it had something to do with water to cement ratio. When I work in cement, the warmer the water the faster it sets. Put the powder into the water. If you put the powder cement into the center of the h2o until the powder forms a little peek out of the water and stays dry for a few seconds, that is a good indication of a good ratio. Keep in mind the warmer the water the faster it will set. Stir gently not to create bubbles, it should feel/look like cake batter, if it starts to set too soon, add a bit of warm water and keep stirring. Work quickly, but not too fast.

*I don’t think u had enough water and that is why it crumbled.

* the cement will get hot as it cures, if u take it out of the molds while still warm, it is easier to clean and repair because it is still a little softer then when it completed hardens...

good luck!!

• Kelly
    Kelly

You could maybe put chicken wire in the mold before pouring the cement. If it did explode or crack, the wire would keep it together...?? Maybe??

• Sandra Anderson
    Sandra Anderson

I'm not a fan of using liquid fuel in open containers.