Arch Shelf DIY

$40

How to make a gorgeous custom arch shelf with minimal tools. It’s perfect for an entry way drop zone, a bathroom towel holder, a hat shelf, or even a plant shelf. I have mine in the kitchen to hold charcuterie boards and some knick knacks. Follow me on Instagram for the full videos.

www.Instagram.com/baker.blooms

*The price for this was calculated based on how much of the materials I actually used. You won’t use the full piece of plywood so you’ll have a good bit left over for more projects.*

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Step 1. Gather materials and tools.

Let’s make this shelf!

Tools needed:

jigsaw or router

sand paper

iron

Drill

pencil

sting

push pin

nail gun or hammer and nails

Step 2. Draw your arch

Measurements for this shelf are

34” tall

22 inches wide

Draw 2 straight likes spaced 22” apart and 23” long.

Find the center of your shelf. It will be 11” in. Place your push pin in the top center between your 2 straight lines.

measure a piece of string to 11” and attach to pencil and push pin. Pull string taut and connect your lines making an arch.

Step 3. Cut

Using a jigsaw or router, cut your shelf.

Step 4. Sand

Lightly sand to remove any jagged edges.

Step 5. Holes for pegs

Using a 1” spade bit, drill holes about 1/2 in into the plywood.

Step 6. Cut and attach pegs.

Cut your dowel rod into six 4” pegs. Sand the ends smooth. Attach pegs using wood glue and 1.5” screws 4 of the pegs will be along the bottom and 2 will go up top as pictured.

Step 7. Cut and attach shelves

Cut your 1x3 into 2 shelves and sand. The longest will be 22” and your small one will be 11”.

Attach using wood glue and a nail gun or hammer and nails. (My phone died and I wasn’t able to film this part, sorry!)

Step 8. Finish edges

Use iron on edge banding to finish the edges. Once in place, trim excess with a blade.

Step 9. Finish

I left mine natural but you could finish with stain, paint or polyurethane.

Step 10. Hang

I used 4 d rings and hung on screws. This will be a relatively heavy piece so make sure to find a stud or use anchors. That’s it! Enjoy your new modern arch shelf.

Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas

• Jacquie Trundy
    Jacquie Trundy

How can you open the door with the fridge handle in the way?

• Loretta Champagne
      Loretta Champagne

Exactly what I was thinking! I understand the question though. Our kitchen has the same problem, but living in Alaska we have 2 large freezers and another frig plus extended pantry items in the garage so we are in and out all day every day and opted to leave the door the way yours is! Love this DIY. Great idea.

• Jacquie Trundy
    Jacquie Trundy

If the door is to a pantry why not remove the door and put a curtain up, or a corrugated sliding door. If it is the door to the outside how about a sliding barn door?

• Loretta Champagne
      Loretta Champagne

Alaska life leaves ours going into the garage, which is where all our extra food storage is, which opens to the the great outdoors when hubby leaves the big door open, which my husband loves working in with the big door open. Which lets in the wood mice and mosquitos and as my neighbor found out, an occasional moose or two looking for spare halloween candy! Much as I would love either a sliding door or Barn door or even curtains it just wouldn't work here. Great ideas though.