Making A Winter Wonderland In A Lantern

$20

So I have this beautiful lantern from Kirkland’s that I bought a few years ago and for some reason, I have never done much with it. I usually just stick a candle in there and that’s it. So not too exciting right? This year I wanted to do something different with it and make it more Christmas-like. So I came up with the idea of this DIY winter lantern.

Supplies Needed For Project
    Lantern (or something similar) Fake buffalo snowBottle brush trees and bushes (basically any small Christmas/Winter figurine would do just fine. You can set whatever scene you like inside of the lantern which is what makes it so fun and creative!)Battery operated LED lightsGlue dots (to secure battery pack in place)

Fill Lantern With Fake Snow

The first thing I did was fill the bottom of my lantern with some of that fake snow. I made it kind of like a snowy hill and put more towards the back of the lantern, since the front doesn’t have much of a lip area and I didn’t want a lot of snow spilling out every time I opened the lantern to turn it on. Then I added my bottle brush trees and I put a big one in the very middle to center the scene and then filled it the surrounding areas with smaller trees and bushes.

Add String Lights and Attach Battery Pack

Then, I attached the battery pack of the string lights to the very top of my lantern with some glue dots. I had to add a lot of glue dots to it to hold it into place, but they are easy to remove so if you ever wanted to change it up, you definitely could.

Place String Lights In Lantern

Once you have the battery pack in place, You can arrange the lights however you want. I just kind of placed them around the main tree in the center but there really wasn’t any rhyme or reason to how I styled it. I think it made it look more whimsical that way!

Finished Lantern

So ta-da! There’s my DIY winter wonderland lantern! I kept this one more Winter-like that way I can use it after Christmas too. I didn’t add in any reds or anything too Christmasy, but if you wanted to go more in that route, you definitely could! I love how you can be super creative with this and create any scene you want!

Style The Finished Lantern

I placed my lantern on my little side table that I refinished as well in my office. I love the twinkle from the lights in there now from this little cute project!

Close Up View of Lantern.

Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Charity

• Carolyn W.
    Carolyn W.

I love the metal box lockers. where did u no them?

• Charity
      Charity

I found them at Vintage Pickin. It’s a local vintage market around here that happens twice a year!

• Kathy
    Kathy

I will try this. I think I will use Velcro to attach the battery pack. Seems easier.

kathy

• Kelli Prielipp
      Kelli Prielipp

Command strips came out with Velcro strips that you could use and it would be easily removable as well. I use them a lot. They work really good for quickly hanging pictures or other light weight wall decor. Plus it saves you from having to put holes in your walls. They can hold up to 16lbs so they are pretty durable.

• Kelli Prielipp
    Kelli Prielipp

This is cute. There are so many cute and simple things you can do to decorate lanterns instead of just sticking a plain old candle in them. Plus you can find them in so many different varieties, shapes, sizes and even colors that the possibilities are endless.

I made one similar to this except I went for more of the Christmas look. I paint a lot of Christmas figurines during the holidays and wanted a more creative way to display them.