DIY Ornaments

$5

This Christmas I really wanted to have a tree with the natural/Scandinavian theme but did not want to buy all new ornaments so I decided to decorate a tree with only items I already have.

For a fun project that could be done affordably and with the help of my kids, I started with these cinnamon and applesauce ornaments.

First you will want to measure out equal parts cinnamon and applesauce. I started with one cup of each. Stir until we’ll combined. Then you roll the “dough” to 1/4 inch thickness. This should be done between two pieces of plastic wrap. I preferred to do it by hand instead of the rolling pin as to not get the dough too thin.

Next, use cookie cutters to cut the “dough” into shapes. After moving the shapes to a baking pan, you’ll want to make small holes for the string to hang them with. I used a straw to poke small holes in each top.

Next you’ll bake them for 2.5 hours at 200 degrees Fahrenheit. The house will smell so good! Once the ornaments cool down, tie twine through the holes and hang on the tree for years of beauty!

Step 1

Start with basic pantry staples! Use a 1:1 ratio.

Step 2

Combine well! You'll want a dough consistency.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Step 3

Roll to 1/4 inch thickness.

It's a bit sticky so it helps to press it between pieces of plastic wrap while you roll.

Step 4

Cut into adorable shapes. It's a great time to break out your holiday cookie cutters!

Step 5

Poke holes for the twine by using a straw!

Step 6

Bake for 2.5 hours at 200 degrees. It's a long bake, but it will make your house smell incredible!

Tada

Enjoy the beautiful ornaments

DIY tree

The ornaments add a great dark brown natural touch to the tree

These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"

• Lynn
    Lynn

Did you grease the pans?

• Susan
      Susan

I used parchment paper, or wax paper, either works great.

• Linda
    Linda

Also wondering .... what is the storage time on these? How is best to store ...indiv. wrapped, foil, ziploc bags, etc??

• Gig15822048
      Gig15822048

Mine are 20 years old and going strong. Making a new set this year with my three year old granddaughter.

• Cheryle
    Cheryle

Are these edible?