Dollar Store Basket Tree Skirt

$20

Here is a quick easy Dollar Store tree skirt just in time for Christmas. I have a few trees in my house and I didn’t want to spend money on one of the $20 buckets so I came up with this cute, shabby chic farmhouse tree skirt. It is so simple, you won't believe it!

What you’ll need:

Laundry basket

Ribbon (I used lace and burlap but you could use anything)

Spray paint (sliver)

Black paint

Rope

Scissors

Waverly wax - clear

Start by painting the basket sliver. I used this spray paint which is perfect for plastic.

Once the paint dries, cut the top of the basket out with a pair of scissors. This will be where you put the tree through.

Next, take your black paint and wax and dab it all over the basket to give it a galvanized metal look. Use a cloth to work the paint and wax in.

See my video at the end of the post for technique tips.

Once the paint dries, weave your ribbons though the basket. I started with my ribbon and I weaved it in one section of the basket and skipped over two sections. I then did this all the way around and repeated this step with my lace too. It's best to keep the same pattern in each row and to keep the starting/ending point at the same place in each row.

Use your hot glue gun to stick down the edges.

Glue the thick rope around the top edge of the basket. Lay the same rope in the bottom lip and glue it down there too.

Make a big bow out of burlap and stick it to the top of the basket.

Add your tree in and you are done!

It's best to use a tree that has a round base.

I just love how this came out for my pencil tree! It has a shabby chic farmhouse look which is perfect. I cant wait to decorate the tree to match.

Be sure to follow me at Gilbert Marketplace on Facebook and check out the video on YouTube.

Check out the full tutorial here!

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter

• Kathy
    Kathy

The bottom that was cut out would make a beautiful snowflake or wreath

• Joanie
    Joanie

I love your idea.......what supports your tree? I made one similar, but I need to support my tree yet. I used a 2 ft. tree in a large veg. can.? any suggestions.?

• Shelly L Nemeth
      Shelly L Nemeth

If you use a cut tree use your regular tree base for water this just sits over it and you just lift it up and water as you would this is a decorative cover if you will 😊

• Christina Wileman
    Christina Wileman

What holds the water for the tree?