Asked on Nov 17, 2020

What to do with on empty top bunk?

HomeroadBetsyKathy Gunter Law
+14

for a 13 year old girl

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi Joanna,

If you have the head height, use it for storage or as a ready or work area. Take the top bunk down and use as a Sofa. Get your Daughter to move to the top bunk and make the bottom bunk the sofa?

• You could add lots of pillows and a wall lamp for a reading spot.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

you could use it for stuffed animals- you could place a piece of plywood on top and use for storage for books or you could remove the top bunk and sell it or give it to someone since it is a twin bed -

• Janice
    Janice

You could get some attractive lightweight boxes or baskets and use the area for storage of off-season clothing or shoes. You could also place a rod between the posts and add some attractive fabric to camouflage items stored there. You could add lots of pillows and make a comfortable teen sitting area for your teenage daughter and friends.

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

I had a similar thought to the first person who commented. Would she be willing to move to the top bunk? Under the top bunk would make an awesome place for a desk or a sofa or even could be converted to a walk in closet!

• Mogie
    Mogie

8 Bunk Bed Shelf Options That Won’t Clutter Up Your Bedroom

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/9-bedside-storage-options-for-the-upper-bunk-kid-222933

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

I am actually a little confused, do you want the 13yo to take the top bunk or to go to the lower bunk?

If she prefers the top bunk, make it pretty and comfortable, equipped with the things she likes.She will let you know what they are.

If she wants the lower bunk, make the things she likes easily available to her, such as an area for a laptop... etc. Take the upper bunk down and repurpose it.

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

Could you add a curtain around the top to make it like a tent for reading? You could hang something from the ceiling.

• Why not ask her? Pre-covid it would be perfect for slumber parties. You have a bunch of really creative solutions here, show here and see what you come up with together. At that age, I read anything I could get my hands on. A bunch of pillows, a throw, a cup holder and even a snack tray with proper lighting could be a perfect place to read, snuggle, daydream, nap and write.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello what is your storage situation like? I would consider it for storage and use some cloth bins to attractively corral toys and possibly off-season items.

• Peggy Burnette
    Peggy Burnette

Hi Joanna, hope this gives you some ideas for the empey top bunk.

Update a Bunk Bed With Paint and Drapery Panels | HGTV

www.hgtv.com › Design › Rooms › Kid Rooms

Add designer flair to a basic bunk bed with ceiling-mounted hardware, ... This bright purple girls bedroom features bunk beds and rock 'n roll style. By: Brian ... Empty primer from HVLP sprayer, then load it with finish color paint. ... With the help of a friend, position both mattresses in place along the top and bottom bunks.

• Use it for storing toys and blankets. You could also make it a fort area with twinkle lights

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

My daughter used hers as storage for her collection of plushies. Anything that you need to store, you can utilize and even make pretty by covering the boxes with contact paper.

Betsy

Hi Joanna: Remove the mattress and bed springs, hang some nice netting around it and make something like an I Dream Of Genie bed :)

• Homeroad
    Homeroad

I would put her on the top if possible and turn the bottom into a reading nook or add a desk under it.