Terri J
Terri J
  • Annapolis, MD

I have what seems to be like a Berber material carpet. Real close loop style that is off white w/ a little cream,

BarbaraSally-Charles EvansTerri J
+14

tjem cream. around the edeges. it is so dirty, and I tried to clean it tonight w/ a hoover steamer carpert cleaner, hichhelped a tiny bit. Desperatley needing suggestion - also rug is ony 10 x 7, so can easely be moved.
  • Terri J

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. Steve, I am checking out the threads you sent, but just in case, I was hoping for one of those old "Greandma used..." or 101 uses for baking soda triks. I have to wear m glasses when I am on this thing.... How are you making out w/ all the fires? Still ok?

• 3po3

Yeah, thanks for asking. It has been raining a LOT this week, which means we have gone from worrying about fires to worrying about floods, but it's a lot better situation.

• Terri J

Glad to hear it Steve - I mean about the fires. Just wish the weather in different places wouldn't cost people everything they have - materialitically that is.

• Do you know why the carpet is dirty near the edges? It is air flow that is being drawn up into the wall from the very tiny space where the wall meets the floor. As this happens the air is filtered by the carpet fibers trapping the dust which makes the carpet dirty. If you ever change your carpet or for those who are planning to do so in the future. Take a caulking gun and caulk all the walls where the trims or walls themselves meets the floor.. even if you do not see any real gap. This will not only stop this dirt from collecting but will save you $$$ on energy bills.

• Terri J

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Terri J

Woodbridge - the carpet is an are one that lays about 18 inches from the sides. I think iit is mostly dirty b/c the inner child in me hates wearing shoes. Also, I spilt water on it and alhough tried to dry it up, it still left a mark.

• Terri J

Thank you for the suggestions but this doesn't answer my question because waiing to see wha Woodbrige Environmenal says.

• Z

I swear by Spot Shot carpet cleaner. You can find it just about anywhere. It's pretty much a miracle carpet cleaner if you ask me or anyone that's used it. I haven't bought, or needed to buy, anything else since I first tried it about a decade ago. You can find out more about here including a coupon for a dollar off. http://www.spotshot.com/

• Cannot really answer why its that far from the edges, but when a carpet is got that black dark stain along the wall, its normally air currents causing it. In your case the carpet is really an area rug, I have no idea what would cause that type of stain. Sorry. :(

• Terri J

Thankds for the explanaton of carpe edges thogh. The sain has slowly beeen comin up by using Oxyclean one day, skip a day, then using another solution, skip a day and so on. Between the 3 things, i can see the stain slowly getting lighter. I am jst veing careful not to over saturate the carpet and now at least where socks on it.

• Robin McCarver

Hydrogen Peroxide works wonders on light colored carpets. It will deodorize your carpets and make stains disappear.

• Terri J

Thanks for the additional tip Robin. I will try it tomorrow to see iif it will get the little bit left out. What about darker carpets ( a tanish color). Do you know if it wold bleach it?

• Robin McCarver

My experience with hydrogen peroxide is limited to light colors. Many professional carpet cleaners use hydrogen peroxide as part of their ....... santacruzclean.com/blog/the-wonders-of-hydrogen-peroxide ...... Good Luck!

• Terri J

Thanks again - am doing it onight if I can stand the heat!

• Sally-Charles Evans

How about taking it outside and scrubbing it and hosing it down?? It would take several days to dry but it would probably come clean. Use something to get the stains out and then you would be rinsing the detergent away, not leaving it to get sticky. I have had good results doing this with older area rugs.

• Barbara

If it is a genuine berber, the fabric could be wool which will shrink if it gets saturated with water, so I'd avoid deep saturation. There is a recipe on Pinterest, it calls for 1/4 cup of white vinegar to 3/4 cup water and a tsp of Dawn dish detergent in a spray bottle. Spray it on generously, but don't over saturate. Lay a clean damp rag folded over the stain and get out your steam iron heated to the wool setting. Don't move the iron back and forth, just press the steam iron down firmly over the rag and let it steam, then move to an adjacent area. We had soy sauce stain from a leaky packet on the carpet and this worked miracles, The only thing I haven't been able to remove is a tiny spot of blue ink from a Bic pen but it lightened that considerably. it's taken up ketchup, soy sauce, chocolate (what can I say? I've a messy teenager!) and even removed a coffee stain.The vinegar will also refresh and soften the fibers and remove any odor that might be associated with the stain. Labor intensive if you have the entire perimeter of the rug, but it did work for me. Hope this helps.