How to Choose the Right Generator for Your Home
The generators are presented in different designs, models and powers. In other words, the variety can complicate the task of finding the most suitable model for your home.
Therefore, read this post if you want to find the most suitable one, you must consider the following key aspects:
1. Type of fuel
The generators can run on gasoline, diesel or gas.
The diesel powered electric generator is more economical and ideal for continuous use. On the other hand, the gasoline-based generator is interesting for short periods of use, between 4 and 6 hours.
2. Times and noise level
The two-stroke generator consumes less fuel, is cheaper and has greater autonomy. However, they generate much more noise.
In contrast, the four-stroke generator, despite being more expensive, is quieter and has a longer service life.
How to calculate the necessary power to ensure the power of all the devices? For this you need to follow the following steps:
1. Make a list of the appliances that will receive the energy supply from the generator, such as a refrigerator, lamps, TVs, security cameras, alarms, electric fences, etc.
2. Find the value of kVa by adding the wattage of all the equipment and then divide the total by 100.
3. Then add more 20% to the resulting figure. Remember, the equipment uses more energy when it is turned on and this value must be computed.
4. Compare the result with the power that is specified in home electric generators.
Consider that normally, kVa values are available on manufacturers' sites, in user manuals and even on the devices and equipment themselves.
4. Voltage regulator
Voltage regulators are important because they help transport generator power to appliances, without compromising integrity and function.
Generators have two types of regulators: the mechanical and the automatic voltage regulator (AVR) or inverter system.
- The mechanical is recommended for common and durable equipment;
- However, the inverter or AVR system is much more effective , since it allows the correct supply of electrical energy for a myriad of devices, especially for the most modern and sensitive ones such as computers and smart TVs.
Undoubtedly, it is worth opting for a generator that has an inverter system, as this allows the equipment to behave in a stable manner and avoid fluctuations in electrical voltage that can cause irreversible damage to electrical devices.
Now you know
As you can see, acquiring a generator of this type is an intelligent and extremely necessary solution, since electric generators for homes promote an expressive improvement in the quality of life, guaranteeing not only comfort and economy, but also the safety of the whole family.
Taking into account the aspects indicated in this article and the convenience of having a generator for your home, which one do you consider to be the most suitable for you? Leave your answer in the comments!
- Two-stroke generator
- Four-stroke generator