Asked on Nov 19, 2020

What's your special Holiday dish?

Lindsay AratariPamelaAnnie
+27

Let share thoughts of special favorites, I'll start it off.

My grandkids love my Grammy's Red applesauce ANY time of year.

Large jar of applesauce, cinnamon red-hots, lots of cinnamon and nutmeg and a little butter simmered for a hour or so until everything is slightly cooked down and beautify rose colored.

Can be served warm of cold.

Happy Thanksgiving.

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

My special holiday dish is my German mashed potatoes. I'm stuck from now until my death lol every single holiday function my family requests it and won't let me bring anything else.

I make mashed potatoes like normal by boiling pealed potatoes and mashing them. In a separate pan I cook up diced ham, A LOT of butter, diced green onions and canned, drained and rinsed sauerkraut.

I dump my pan of deliciousness into the mashed potatoes and mash it all up together adding cream as needed.

Its just incredible!

• Creamed spinach, cucumber salad, lima bean salad and stuffing. From inside the bird, made with the heart and liver to give it a depth of flavor that counts. Don't tell your guests or they won't eat it!

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

Mac N Cheese! I love Martha Stewart's recipe.

• J Brown
      J Brown

when my kids were young they did not eat "picnic or pot luck" type food. I always took homemade mac n cheese for them, they made sure to be at the front of the line or it would be gone.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

That sounds wonderful with the red hots. I always look forward to sweet potato casserole. I found something new I was looking forward to sharing this year: strawberry pretzel salad. But it’s a big recipe and we won’t be socializing so that’s a nope for now. Love this!

• Kathy Gunter Law
      Kathy Gunter Law

Brown sugar topping. However I had a friend who combined both for a pot luck at work and OH MY it was so yummy. I don't make the casserole, I'm the ham/potatoes/green beans/ basics chef so I have no input on the recipe.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

I usually do roasted vegetables because my family is so hard to please. Some are vegetarians, some hate typical ham, turkey and dressing, so I usually do a turkey breast with a special marinade on the grill and then roasted vegetables, dressing and more vegetables

• Stuffing - homemade - by my husband!

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Ha, Martha Stewart helped me with this beaut, it has brought lots of laughs at my expense.

Picture this: She had a gorgeous turkey nicely browned on a platter lined with fall leaves of many colors, I think it was on the cover of one of her magazines. It was truly to a sight to behold & I wanted just exactly that. So I made the turkey and it came out just fine, and my bed of leaves were in place. I put the turkey on the leaves and they turned a yucky gray brown. So embarrassed.

So, after the traditional turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy...it is lobster tails.

Thanks for asking and for the opportunity to share a story.

• Em
    Em

Oh J this is a DIY forum.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi there,

My family love my Walnut Apple Sponge. Serve after 24hrs. in Fridge. Cold with Hot Coffee! Super!! Victoria Sponge Mix (doubled or trebled) to make a deep strong sponge. I use Square Tins (It cuts better into slices) Cooking Apple puree chunky. Add Lemon (to keep colour) and leave to cool. Chop Walnuts and add (only when cold) otherwise they will colour the white apple. At this point you can add any other seasonal fruit such as Apricots (chopped ) to taste, or Raspberries etc. The Apple needs to be a bit tarte, to contrast with the Sponge. Sandwich together to make a thick layer of Apple etc. ( If the Top and Bottom Sponge about 2" thick, then the Apple mixture needs to be about at least an 1 - 1.5 inches. Leave in Fridge overnight or as long as you can to allow the juices from the Filling to seep into the sponge. Just before Serving, Top with Whipped Double Cream and Yoghurt and Dream Topping combined or to taste. Decorate with Half Walnuts. Wonderful as a Cold Pudding too, served with Ice Cream. Serve in Slices. The longer in the fridge the better it tastes. Enjoy!

• For a smaller thanksgiving meal - that’s still impressive - my husband makes this: https://www.frugalfamilytimes.com/2019/11/rolled-stuffed-turkey-breast-wrapped-in-bacon.html

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

How thoughtful to share this recipe.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Betsy

Hi J: What my family likes, and I make it often is Cherrio Cream Pie.

Cook time - 0 - none

Ingredients:

1 ready made graham cracker pie crust

1 - 8 oz block of Philly Cream Cheese softened at room temp

1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (Not Pet Milk)

1/2 cup lemon juice (Bottled is o.k.)

1 can pie filling - cherry - blueberry - strawberry, etc.

Take the plastic thing off of the pie crust - it's the top later on so don't throw it away.

Mix the cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice. It will get thick, so mix it for at least 5 minutes. If it just doesn't thicken, forget it, it should thicken in the fridge. Pour into the pie crust. If it's thick, spoon on the pie filling and cover with the plastic thing. If it's not thick, cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours and it should be o.k., then spoon on the pie filling. Chill for a couple of hours and that's it. This is really good!

Betsy

And, putting the top on keeps my fingers and spoon away from the pie :) This is so easy to make. I have a lot of recipes that are easy and don't use a lot of pots and pans,my favourite :) I mix all of the ingredients for this pie in a large, like 4 cup, measuring cup. That way, I can pour the mix right into the crust. You may want to start with a bit less lemon juice, like a 1/4 cup to see if it sets up for you when you mix it. If it's too thick, then you can add more lemon juice, or even lemon zest. Strawberries sound good :)

• Peggy Burnette
    Peggy Burnette

Pumpkin dump cake for Christmas or Thanksgiving. Have a great Thanksgiving.

• J Brown
    J Brown

Truthfully, any dish is best with family and friends gathered around to share it.

• Annie
    Annie

With dinner we make a butter nut squash with a bit of Fire Ball....

• Pamela
    Pamela

Happy Thanksgiving !!! Love the idea of sharing family food specialties !!!!

Mine is my sweet potato casserole. I grew up on sweet potatoes covered with marshmallows.. I never liked it !!! I love sweet potatoes , but not that way . I decided to put my own spin on a version of a sweet way to prepare sweet potatoes. I make sweet potatoes covered with a strussell crumb topping then cover that with chopped pecans before baking . It isn't too sweet because I don't add any sugar to the potatoes, just in the topping .

I used fresh sweet potatoes ( but you can also use canned ) I would peel them & cut them then boil them until tender . Drain out the liquid and mash them using some butter , a pinch of salt and use apple cider instead of milk for the liquid . Put them in a greased casserole and top with a strussell crumb topping. Equal parts flour , and brown sugar , a shake of cinnamon, and some soft ( not melted ) butter. Mix it until crumbly. And put over the sweet potatoes. Next chop up some pecans , and put them over the crumb topping , then bake for 20 minutes !

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari
    10 minutes ago

Yum! I love mashed potatoes and green bean casserole