Asked Yesterday

How can I preserve this old wallpaper on this crate ?

Deb KLauren of Mom Home GuideTymes Past
+20

It is brittle and coming loose at edges. I tried brushing some glue under edges, but it breaks off. If I would varnish over all of it, would the varnish soak in enough to seal it down to the wood underneath? It is so neat, I would like to save it rather than remove it. But I don't want to damage it by experimenting willy nilly. Suggestions from anyone who has done similar?

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride
    Yesterday

I'd cover with a matte modge podge

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law
    Yesterday

Modge podge would be my vote.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A
    Yesterday

modge podge is the safest way to go to keep from discoloring and harming the wallpaper- it is a beauty

• Tymes Past
      Tymes Past
      20 hours ago

Yes, the wallpaper is so neat I want to preserve it as much as I can. Thanks for the input.

• I would also use Mod Podge, but remember it is not waterproof. They do have formulas that are more durable, so do your homework on the formula to use.

William
    Yesterday

I would use Minwax spray quick dry polyurethane (water based) or Rustoleum clear spray paint or glaze.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec
    Yesterday

What an beautiful piece of history you have, just love it. I am all for mod podge to save it, also the polyurethane. The corner where the chunk of missing wallpaper is in need of repair or replacement, is there somewhere on this where you could borrow and fill in? I think the least amount of handling is best, as you have discovered.

• Tymes Past
      Tymes Past
      20 hours ago

I'm not concerned about the missing piece--just adds to the aged look. :) It is fragile so will proceed carefully. Thanks.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82
    Yesterday

Hi there,

You could use Mod Podge, It will soak in! You could also use Contact clear, but you , an will need assistance to help you get started. Best of luck! I am always trying to save things and restore them, when everyone has given up on them. It takes time , a vision and care, but I never give up until I am happy with the result. PS. Do take a photo of before and after, you'll be pleased you did.

• Tymes Past
      Tymes Past
      20 hours ago

I usually forget the before pics until I am halfway into a project.  Thanks for the input.

• Em
    Em
    Yesterday

I would paint on polyurethane in clear. Mod Podge can get tacky in humid weather. Poly does not.

• If you cover it with polyurethane make sure it’s water based. Water based won’t yellow!

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor
    Yesterday

Hello I would use a spray sealer to seal the paper then use a brush on polyurethane. I would think a matte or satin would be more attractive than glossy.

• You can see if you can use a spray adhesive to spray inside the peeling paper and then gently press the paper back onto the ottoman. Then you can cover the outside.

• K. Rupp
    K. Rupp
    Yesterday

Yes, I would use spray adhesive for the peeling underside like Holly said. Use something like super 77. The best spray adhesive! Here is a trick. When you need to spot glue in tight spots, spray on a paper plate, wait a minute till it is slightly tacky and use a toothpick to use the glue exactly where you need it. Then after you get any peeling under control on the backside, I would modge podge. Good luck! Pretty.

• K. Rupp
      K. Rupp
      19 hours ago

Sure!! I use it all the time for my upholstery projects! One of the amazing adhesives that works great with fabric too! Good luck!

• Homeroad
    Homeroad
    Yesterday

You can try a matte Mod Podge. It won't be shiny and should seal the wallpaper.

• Baxter
    Baxter
    Yesterday

Yes, Mod Podge will work great. I have used it to safely seal old peeling labels on antique crates and boxes. It will not damage or lessen the value :-)

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Yesterday

Mod Podge works best to seal the brittle wall paper: https://amzn.to/332bgDx

• Tymes Past
    Tymes Past
    20 hours ago

Thank you all...I will probably try Mod Podge on a small area to see if it soaks in enough. I may try both on some old scrap wallpaper to see how each works. I appreciate all the advice!

• I would also try gently applying a few layer of Mod Podge on top of the paper.

• Deb K
    Deb K
    33 minutes ago

Hello, I think if you gently apply a clear sealant you will preserve it beautifully! I think it will look wonderful as well!