Reviving an Art Deco

$80

I purchased a vintage art deco cabinet from a yard sale for $40.00. The cabinet had good bones but needed some TLC

The Before

The first thing to do was wash the cabinet. I used some warm water and murphy's oil soap. As I was washing, I realized the back of the inside was lined with a silk fabric. It was shredding off as I was washing.

After washing

After washing it, I used two (ebony and walnut) stains to restore the damaged wood area. I applied a couple of coats, letting each coat completely dry before applying another. The bottom had some scuffing and I just gave it a light sanding to smooth the area out. After the staining was done I applied two coats of Old English lemon oil to bring back the shine. The other dilemma was the interior. I ordered glass shelves from our local glass company and the cost was $30.00 (easy fix). To line the cabinet, instead of paint or stain, I wanted something that would really stand out and make it pop so I did some research for art deco wallpaper. I found a pattern I really liked and thought it would make a bold statement for the cabinet.

The after and new look

I used a stain pen on the glass inlays.

The cabinet has a much smoother and polished finish

I used a peel and stick wallpaper

3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Jamala W

• Retta Robinson
    Retta Robinson

What did you use the ebony stain on? I see only walnut. Where did you get the gorgeous wallpaper? I love the art deco design. So-o-o beautiful !

• Jamala W
      Jamala W

Thank you! The ebony was on the bottom and the scrolled pieces on the glass front doors. I ordered the wallpaper from an etsy shop called coloritto. I'm glad you like the new look

• Jamala W
    Jamala W

Thank you so much!! I truly appreciate your compliment! I was worried about the inside because a friend didn't like it and tried to talk me out of it.. but I wanted excitement and went for it.. glad you like it

• Lorri Annette Curto
    Lorri Annette Curto

This is by far the best makeover I have seen! You did a beautiful job but the real stunner is the wallpaper you used for the inside. Simply gorgeous and true to it's art deco origins! Grand slam!!!

• Jamala W
      Jamala W

Awww thank you so much!! I truly appreciate your compliment...