DIY Faux Marble Bookends/Shelf Decor

$5

I discovered this faux marble painting technique and am now obsessed with trying it on different things. I found two almost identical snow globes at a thrift store and had an idea.

Thrift product

I knew I wanted something round for this project and these snowglobes had almost identical bases and figured they'd work great!

Paint solid color

I scuffed the glass and then spray painted both so that the glass was completely covered.

Get your soot station ready

Light a candle stick and place a fork in the flame. Notice how the smoke turns black. This is what we will use to add the marble to our base paint color.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Roll the product in soot

I put the candle on a candle holder so I could have a free hand. Hold the globe in one hand and the fork in the other. Hold the globe about 8 inches above the lit candle.

Place the fork in the flame. Roll the globe around in the black smoke as you want it to land on the product.

Note that the closer you get the more black the markings will appear.

Paint base and Seal

Sealed with a spray on poly!

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects

To see more: //instagram.com/discoverydecor

• Jackie Taillon
    Jackie Taillon

They are ultra sheek .... though l wonder about the water under the glass and paint if it sweats ....have you done it before ?

• Amanda
      Amanda

I hadn’t thought I’d that. I don’t have a ton of experience with snow globes... so I have no idea I’d they sweat. I’ll keep you posted!

• Tootie Pop Erwin Turner
    Tootie Pop Erwin Turner

How did u clean the bases when u were done?

• Kate
    Kate

Was the fork regular stainless or was it silver?

• Amanda
      Amanda

Regular stainless... I’m pretty sure any fork will do. One person told me the used a glass stir stick and that worked too.