Asked 7 days ago

How to remove round tabletop from pedestal base?

Jeremy HoffpauirAnnieMorgan McBride
+20

I need to remove the 48" round solid oak table top from its base so I can take it out to the deck and sand it. In looking underneath, I think I have to remove the screws in the rectangular piece of wood to get the top off. Seems that piece is attached to the pedestal base, right? If that's so, how heavy is this table top going to be? I won't have to pick up it up because I'll roll it out the door (about 4-5 ft away) to the deck on something to prevent damage to the sides. But still, if it's super heavy, it will be unwieldy. Wondering what to expect and if I can do it myself or should I get help? I'm thinking I should ask for help even in unscrewing those screws because they've been in the table since the very early 80s. Suggestions?

• A solid oak tabletop will be heavy. Get some help, it would be a shame to drop it and hurt yourself or damage the table.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Place a large drop cloth or a tarp on the deck and spread it open, then roll your table out with help, if you can get it. Then put the table on the cloth upside down. I agree with you those screws on the rectangular piece are part of the key to removing the pedestal base.

There might be a chance the pedestal is screwed into the top, you'll have to try to get the screws out and go from there.Hopefully it will just come right off. Best to you.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

if you take the screws out of the board the base should come with it unless it is glued on- you would need to turn it upside down to do this

I would get help because the table and base will be very heavy and then you will have to get it put back together...

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

turn the table upside down and start by removing the wood piece screws and the base should come right off- if you had help getting it outside, I would try sanding it without removing the base if you can

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello,

It is probably stuck and has a central screw fitting. Maybe if you had help you could manage to take it out sideways with a little tipping and turning without undoing anything .

Best of luck!

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi, looks like you need to remove the board with the screws, it shouldn't be too heavy to move, but you could use a blanket on flooring or cardboard to slide it across a rug to the deck, hope your refinish looks great!

William

The pedestal is screwed to the rectangular base. Unscrew the rectangular board. The top can be quite heavy. Get some help if you can. If you must do it yourself roll it out on some cardboard so not to damage the edge.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. I would turn the table upside down and examine the connection points to discover the way to disengage.

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

There are likely screws up under that flat board, you have to reach into there to unscrew it.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

I believe the wood piece that's screwed to the top is the place where it's fastened. Speaking from experience, it's easier to turn it upside down and then remove the base. The tabletop is heavy, and it's the safest way. Save the screws in a baggie, or you will be looking for replacements! Good luck!

• definitely get help. It will be safest when you unscrew the base to have more hands there - or turn the table upside down would be best. It’s a big table and will be heavy.

• Em
    Em

Your guess on the top about removing the screw seems correct. If you have to roll it, put down blankets and it won't scratch the wood or your floor.

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

Hi Louise, I would try turning it if possible. If may have a large, heavy duty screw in it that is keeping it anchored to the base.

• Dee
    Dee

My table came with leaves to make it bigger. It is attached with the glider for the leaf. It is very heavy without the leaf. Get some help you do not want to injure yourself.

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

You just need to figure out how they put it together. Normally a few screws will hold a base to a top.

Betsy

Hi Louise: It may just unscrew. But, I think you're right, the little screws may need to be removed first. If you can, tip the table on it's top (yes, you will need help) and work on it that way. Put some towels on the floor and roll the table out on them. I would have saw horses or something to lift the top up off of the patio at least 6" high and at least 6" from the edges, so that you can sand the edges and stain or paint or whatever you plan on doing, without the top sticking to the patio or whatever you were planning on putting it on. Also, it's easier to wipe away drips. And yes, good grief, get help!  Good luck

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

Are there screws?

• Louise
      Louise

Yes, if you'll check the photo, you'll see screws on the rectangular board at the top of the pedestal.

• Annie
    Annie

Perhaps leave it on the base and get help to take outside.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir
    24 minutes ago

There should be screws. If you can't find them, leave it on the base and move it outside.