Repurposed Cardboard Packaging Ornaments

$1

It's a bit embarrassing the amount of packages we get delivered to our house at the moment. It doesn't help that most shops are shut in the UK for safety reasons. I do recycle most of the cardboard but I also keep a bit back for crafting. Last year I made a Scandinavian inspired Christmas garland (see here). This year I thought I'd make some 3D ornaments for the tree.

As well as the cardboard packaging there are two other things I had in the house that I used to make these ornaments.

One was Christmas cookie cutters to use as templates. If you don't have cookie cutters, I've drawn around mine and you can download them from my blog (link at the end).

The other thing was used postage stamps. I have an old tin full of used stamps . If you don't have any they can be bought really cheaply on Amazon or eBay.

First draw around the cookie cutters on the cardboard. You will want 2 identical shapes for each ornament.

Use a craft knife to cut out the cardboard shapes.

I cut lots of different shapes.

I then put a slit in each identical ornament shape. One from the top and one from the bottom.

This is so I could slot the shapes together to make a 3D shape

I then paper mache all the shapes with small strips of newspaper. This made them stronger.

I made six different cardboard ornaments.

Next I sorted my stamps into piles of different colours.

I then decoupaged each ornament in stamps of different same colours. I then added a coat of glue to act as a varnish. (see blog)

I ended up with a rainbow of Christmas ornaments.

You can make these more personal by using stamps of one particular country or a particular theme such as sports or birds. I love to make personalized ornaments for Christmas. Old road maps are also great for making personalized Christmas ornaments and garlands like these ones.

29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Claire at Pillarboxblue