The first thing I did was put the table together in my garage, to see if all the parts were there. It had four leaves, but strangely they did not have the same decorative trim as the rest of the table. One leaf had a big crack in it and a couple others were warped and the edges didn’t line up perfectly. So I decided not to work on the damaged leaves. My friends have a cute little bungalow and I’m sure a table that large would never fit anyway! But I kept the leaves in case they want to salvage them later.
The next thing I noticed was that one of the five legs was missing the ceramic caster. My first thought was just to remove them all together, as they looked too small for the scale of the table, in my view. And the chunky legs would have looked great without casters. But the issue was the table would be too short, without the added 2” of height from the castors, so I’d need to replace them. I found some that would have worked perfectly with the vintage vibe, but they were rated for “small projects” like coffee tables and I didn’t want to take the risk, as this table is heavy!!! So I ordered new heavy-duty, non marking, casters with brakes. I went with black, in the hopes they would blend in and not look odd on this antique table.