Asked on Nov 22, 2020

Oil gel stain

Kim  |Exquisitely UnremarkableCynthia HVimarhonor
+11

Can you use a lighter color oil gel stain over a previously stained tongue and groove paneling without stripping it first?

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

Hi. You can use it over a previously stained surface but remember that the colour underneath will influence the colour above and change it from what it is supposed to look like. General Finishes gel stain can be used for like this.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. Good question.....This link could be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKvCZ0mZQtc

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Daw,

I have never tried this myself. I usually only use darker colour over the top on things I want to change. If you put light over dark (unless it is a Liming Wax) you tend to get a colour maybe just a shade or two lighter than the one underneath, or a dulling of the colour!. Why not try your idea out on a piece that is at the back and won't be seen if it goes wrong? Best of luck!

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Yes, you can, it will create and interesting effect from the 2 merging. If you are curious on how this might look, try an unnoticeable area and do your experiment to see if you will like it. It will probably give you highlights and make the grain more pronounced.

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

I would be concerned with what top coat is on the paneling. Varnish or poly would probably inhibit stain absorption.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

It will most likely lighten the current finish but it will not get it to the light stain color.

• Em
    Em

Stains soak into the surface of wood and adding a lighter color over a dark one will not work. You have to strip it to bare wood or paint it lighter.

• Mogie
    Mogie

It is sort of like applying new fingernail polish over old fingernail polish. You can do that but the results aren't nearly as good as a clean slate to start.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

The lighter gel will not work.

Have you considered whitewash or pickling —using a white glaze to lighten up the wood that would have some transparency?

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! Unfortunately, my experience has been the only way to go lighter, is to strip and stain, or to paint. You could prime the paneling, and paint it a lighter wood shade. There are even tools that imitate wood grain, if you really want that. Be sure to clean and lightly sand before applying any new finish. Good luck!

• We use gel stain a lot and I would say no. Whatever color you have underneath is going to influence the top coat...new coat. Sanding will solve the issue.