Magnetic Soap Holder

$10

In order to produce less waste, (plastic) packaging should be avoided if possible. For example, instead of liquid soap from the plastic dispenser, use the good old bar of soap. With our solid wood holder with magnet, the floating soap is always within reach.

Soap without palm oil

The first soap was invented over 6,500 years ago: It consisted of lye and oil. In the past, olive oil was used to make soap, today palm oil is mainly used because it is a very pliable and, above all, the cheapest vegetable-based oil. Unfortunately, large areas of the rainforest are being destroyed for extraction – a catastrophe for climate protection, humans and nature. If you want to protect the environment, you’d better buy palm oil-free soaps.

What You Need
  • Solid wood scraps or strips from the hardware store, approx. 3 x 2 cm and 18 cm long
  • Strong magnet, glue
  • Bottle caps, soap
  • Waterproof adhesive tape
  • Clear lacquer, brush or lacquer roller
  • Waterproof glue, masking tape
  • Hand saw with cutting box, alternatively a jigsaw
  • Sanding block with 120, 220 sandpaper

Cut the holder

Miter the 18 cm long bar in two parts, so that you get one approx. 7 cm and one approx. 11 cm long piece. Then sand the surfaces and smooth the edges.

Glue the soap holder

Now you put some glue on the miter, put both parts together and fix the construction all around with masking tape. Wipe off any excess glue with a damp cloth.

Paint the surface

If the glue is well dry, remove any glue residue and carefully sand the holder again if necessary. Then remove the dust and varnish in two steps with 220 intermediate sanding.

Complete the soap holder

After drying, stick the magnet in the middle, approx. 1.5 cm from the outer edge, under the longer leg.

Press the crown cap into the soap.

Now attach the waterproof adhesive tape to the short leg for assembly and stick the soap holder in the desired position on the sink. 

Finished!

15 Memorial Day Crafts
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Jennifer D. Butler

• Lmlahlum
    Lmlahlum

What I want to know is, where did they get that small metal miter box? I really need one like that! The common wood ones are far too big for my projects.

• Peabutton's Mom
      Peabutton's Mom

It is a crafter's miter box. I actually got one in my wood carving kit. I'm sure if you search the craft and/or hobby aisles in better stores of the same you just might find on. Another great store to search is Harbor Freight. Hope this helps.

• Cherie
    Cherie

As the soap softens, won't the bottle cap fall out of the soap? I love this idea, however, and probably will try it!

• Peabutton's Mom
      Peabutton's Mom

Of course the bottle cap will fall out with use. A simple trick would be to wrap and sew or tie off a piece of hosier around the bar, with cap in it's place. Like a "soap catcher" bag.

• Carline
    Carline

why not just glue the magnet on the wall?

• Janet
      Janet

I guess the soapy water would drip on the tiles

• Melissa Blair Hagman
    Melissa Blair Hagman

I am absolutely doing this, and I won’t even have to buy any supplies at the store. Thanks so much for sharing!!

• Peabutton's Mom
    Peabutton's Mom

A brilliant idea! I would also suggest wrapping a gauze-style "soap saver" bag around the soap to help keep the bottle cap in place. Another idea is to dip the cap side of the soap, with cap in place, into some melted parafin used for canning. The wax doesn't melt so cap stays put until soap is spent down. Save the wax to use again.