Upcycled Toboggan Christmas Decor - And More!

$40

Some people dream of a white Christmas. That’s usually not a problem in Canada! However, I prefer a colourful one, Canadian style, with Christmas sleigh decor done up in Hudson’s Bay Point Blanket Stripes!

I’m the first to admit that I’m crazy about these iconic stripes. If you saw our post a few days ago, we gave vintage stocking stretchers the same stripe treatment.

Ok, I can hear those in the know screaming at your screen. Technically this isn’t a sleigh! In Canada, this fine snow surfing vehicle is known as a ‘toboggan’. Hubs found it curb side this summer.

Poor Hubs has had a checkered past when it comes to toboggans (which is why I chose to do stripes instead)! You see, Canadians are fearless when it comes to winter sports and Hubs permanently damaged his front tooth as a child in a tobogganing accident. It’s a wonder any of us baby boomers survived our childhoods! Bad childhood experiences aside, I couldn’t wait to put a decor spin on this toboggan.

But hey, if we get inundated with snow in the upcoming months, we’ll be able to grab it off the wall and toboggan in style!

To start, remove the yellow pull cord. Then clean the wood with with a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar.

The sticker label proves to be more challenging. You'll find what we used on that by visiting our blog (link at the end of this post where you see our logo).

Remove three of the cross braces in the centre, leaving one at either end.

Hubs trick to removing the now loose staples is to use a vice grips with a thin board for leverage. You’ll see that in action on this video. 

Fill any holes with wood putty.

Base Coat of Paint

I dry brush on some white paint – but only in between the two remaining cross braces. To dry brush, dip the tips of the bristles in paint, then offload most of it onto paper towels. You should still be able to see the wood grain through the paint.

Paint on the Stripes

Tape the stripes. It takes 3 coats of paint to get the depth of colour. I use a separate roller for each colour.

I have a tip on how to keep the rollers from drying out between coats. Hubs also has a brilliant trick to dry the rollers so they’re good as new. You’ll have to watch the video above to find out how.

Sleigh Rides Stencil

I’m using this  Sleigh Rides stencil by Funky Junk’s Old Sign Stencils to embellish the sleigh. But I want to use my Christmas Sleigh Decor year round, so I apply the stencil to a piece of wood so I can make a sign that’s double sided. You’ll see why I do that later in the reveal.

I position ‘Sleigh’ on a jaunty angle.

Then ‘Rides’ follows right underneath. This is my first time using a stencil brush – this one is a – and I have to admit, I love using it! Of all the stencilling methods I’ve tried, I thought this would be the most difficult. But it’s not. Just load paint onto the bristles. Then offload it onto paper towels so you have a fairly dry brush and swirl away, as you’ll see on the video.

You’ll see how the other side of the sign looks in the reveal.

Reattach Cross Braces

Position and clamp the first two cross braces right through the middle of the first and last white stripes.

Because we don’t want to scratch our wall once this is mounted, we countersink first before drilling in the screws from the back.

We salvaged pallet wood so we can add a shelf near the bottom of the toboggan. I originally planned four shelves but want to enjoy the unspoiled look of the point blanket stripes. We attached it with countersunk screws as we did the rest of the cross braces.

But before you attach it, insert the sign, then place some credit cards between it and the cross brace as spacers so there is wiggle room to remove and flip it. Don’t forget this sign is two-sided!

Apply a clear coat to seal the raw wood.

To stay true to the original toboggan, I’m adding this cotton twisted rope. I should also mention that I notched the shelf first using a jig saw and chisel.

That’s so I could knot it right underneath the shelf before threading it through the original holes in the cross braces. The knots help hold the sign in place too!

Just add mounting hardware and it's ready to hang!

At Christmas time, I’ll decorate the shelves with holiday-related items like my needle felted elf. See what I mean when I say I’ve gone crazy for these iconic stripes?! My little elf is adorned in a point-blanket coat :).

However, once Christmas is over, we’ll just flip the sign around – from ‘sleigh rides’ to ‘rides’. Then we’ll have a transportation-themed display!

See what I did there with the double-sided stencil sign to stretch this project year-round? Isn’t that so versatile? For more stencil options, visit  Funky Junk’s Old Sign Stencils. There’s fabulous options for Christmas and year-round stencil crafting!

Visit us at the link below for more great holiday upcycling and stencilling ideas! You'll also find all our social media icons at the top of this post, so be sure to follow us! 

• Sleigh  (Curb side find)
  • Stencil  (Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils (https://bit.ly/3iGNd2t))

20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Birdz of a Feather

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Anyone else remember these coats? Heavy and warm, made from 100% wool.

• Leslie
    Leslie

LOL, I live in New England and when I was a child my Sister and I would take our toboggan up to the top of the hill behind our house and would sled all the way down. I was a little bit of a dare devil and I would use the toboggan as a surf board great fun. You brought back great memories with your post, thank you :)

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Going down a hill on a toboggan, (then trooping back up just so we could fly down again!) was always called tobogganing when I was a kid, not sledding.