DIY Modern Desk

$50
1 Day

I built this modern desk so my little dude would have a designated place for homework, art, Lego construction, you name it. He’s never had his own big boy desk before and he is pretty excited about it. The best part for me though is that this desk is big enough for him to use even when he is older. To build this modern desk, I used Ana White’s Modern 2×2 Desk Base plans but modified the measurements to fit my space and changed the desk top.

Here are the measurements I used...

4-2x2s@29"

4-2x2s@20 1/4"

3-2x2s@51"

First, I cut all my 2x2s for the legs and drilled the pocket holes. Then, I used my right angle clamps to keep everything square while I attached everything with pocket hole screws.

Next, I cut the three connecting boards and drilled pocket holes then attacahed these longer boards to both legs creating the base. Once the base was built, I painted it Sherwin Williams Tricorn Black.

For the desk top, I bought a 6′ project panel and cut it down to 4.5′. I love these project panels from Lowe’s. They’re so handy.

With the base and top complete, I flipped everything upside-down and attached the base to the desk top using 2″ screws.

For the stain, I used a mixture of Driftwood and Early American and sealed the top with matte polycrylic.

Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:

• Kw
    Kw

Considering, can it be taken apart and put back together without compromising the integrity? and looks awesome btw!

• Build It Thrifty
      Build It Thrifty

I belive it could be easily taken apart. The pocket holes in the base assembly make it easy to remove then reassemble, as long as you don't use any wood glue on your initial assembly.

• SpudBread
    SpudBread

For ease of mov ing- to make it modular-- I would explore use of machine screws with wing nuts ... and hinged end legs, etc. A little "figuring out" would do the "trick!" -- I was also thinking of that idea. My home office "desk" is one metal 2-drawer file cabinet, and the other end is a wood 2-drawer/2-file drawers cabinet. Top is a both sides enamel painted 3'X5' hardboard (masonite) panel, with a glass top over that. Easily taken apart/moved for relocation, or furniture re-arranging! Enough space for tower (under the desk) computer, monitor, keyboard, scanner, printer and all with plenty of room for CLUTTER!!!! and desk lamp ... This was a good project, to fit an immediate need ... BRAVO!!!

• Build It Thrifty
      Build It Thrifty

That is a great idea to make it movable! I definitely wanted this desk to be extra sturdy for my 9-year-old so I won't be moving it any time soon. Your DIY home office desk sounds so cool! Thanks for taking the time to comment SpudBread!