Asked on Nov 25, 2020

Liming wax

Johnavallance82Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little GnomeAgnes Chrzanowska
+11

Anyone know about liming wax? Can you use it on wood tongue and groove paneling? Would it remove that dark orange color?

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

After watching the following youtube video I don't know if you'll get the exact result you're looking for. However, it looks simple enough to try a test patch and see if you like it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydjqeBF2V80

William

That would be a lot of work for tongue and groove paneling. Lime wax is made to soak into the wood grain. It's not made to cover a finish. If there's a finish coat on the wood it would need to be sanded off. You would be better off to dry brush the tongue and groove paneling with watered down paint. Or you could sand down to raw wood and clear coat.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi there,

It would tone it down a bit, If you used Antique Wax it would darken it a bit!

Best wishes.

• Mogie
    Mogie

Liming Wax works best on woods like oak that have an open, loose grain. This allows the liming wax to fill into the grain as opposed to the moldings.

How to Use Liming Wax

https://cedarhillfarmhouse.com/how-to-use-liming-wax/

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

Hi, Unfortunately liming wax would not take away the orange look. I would suggest the same as above and do a white wash over the wood if you would like to tone down the orange colour. You can use a paint like Annie Sloan chalk paint or milk paint (powdered) as neither has latex or acrylic and they would work beautifully.

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari

I would suggest a white wash as well

• Sharon
    Sharon

To remove the dark orange you need to strip off the top coat of finish. If its an older piece its probably shellac which turns orange when exposed to sunlight. Use some denatured alcohol on a cloth in a small area, if it removes it, its shellac and I use 0000 steel wool to get it off and or scrapers. If it softens it but doesn't remove it, its probably shellac mixed with lacquer, use a mixture of 1/2 & 1/2 denatured alcohol and lacquer thinner using 0000 steel wool and scrapers.

If the surface is oil-based polyurethane thats turned color from sunlight, I use a stripper.

• Sharon
      Sharon

PS you can't white wash it until the finish is removed..... and if its been stained I would do a test area to see how much the stain will bleed through. If its knotty pine, I would use zinseer bulls-eye to treat each knot before white washing as the wood resin may bleed through the white wash.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

I agree with Sharon about the panels having bleed through. Also, without sanding, nothing is going to adhere. I always prime before painting over wood. If you want to see the wood grain, and just tone it down, I would consider whitewash. Good luck and stay!

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir

Best thing to do is sand the old finish off before you do anything.

• Sand off old finish first for a better application and results

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi there,

It won't remove it, but it will blind it by making it a little whiter, as using Antique wax would darken it a bit. Good luck!