Seal without losing the writing?

+20

This door was from my husband's childhood barn. We would like to seal it so the boys writing does not continue to fade. We took it out of the barn and would like to make into a wall decoration. Need advice.

q seal without losing the writing
  • William William on Nov 25, 2020

Water based poly so it won't yellow. At least three coats. Clear spray glaze or spray paint. Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane.

• Recreated Designs Recreated Designs on Nov 25, 2020

Hi Leza, You can seal the wood with a clear coat and it will preserve the writing. If you are in doubt, you can try it on a small second on the back of the wood. There are a lot of great clear coats out there. General Finishes makes a great one and there are good ones at your local home improvement store. I would use a water based clear coat. Apply it with a foam brush going in one direction. (with the grain). Leave it over night and then go the opposite direction to cover anything that was missed the first time. The less you go over the clear coat the clearer and nicer it will dry. Also, don't shake the can. Mix it like you would when mixing egg whites into a recipe. Hope those tips help :)

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Nov 25, 2020

Hello. I would suggest using a poly acrylic sealer. They are water-based formulations that could be painted on or sprayed on depending upon how thick you want your seal coat.

There are several sheens to consider gloss -semi gloss -satin or flat. Hope you find the perfect sealer for protecting your family history.

• Annie Annie on Nov 25, 2020

That will be wonderful to keep that! Yes a seal coat will work

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Nov 25, 2020

Polycrylic would work

• Sharon Sharon on Nov 26, 2020

Do you know what the writing was done with?

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Nov 26, 2020

Water based polyurethane should do the trick. Water based won’t yellow.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Nov 26, 2020

you could cut it down to just where the writing is and use it to hang on the wall or even frame it- I would use polycrylic or else the water based polyurethane as suggested by others

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 26, 2020

Hello there,

Go over the writings with same again or darker to show it up. Then seal it with a clear timber sealent.

• Em Em on Dec 02, 2020

I would not "go over" it with anything but a sealer. It will change the authentic writing.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Nov 26, 2020

Hi! A clear drying sealer would be your best bet! Take good pictures before starting, just in case. I took pictures of my children's graffiti before sealing and painting over it, for selling our old house. I put them in an album. Good luck and stay safe!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Nov 27, 2020

Take photos and then seal. Display in a place were hands won't be touching it and enjoy the piece of art. I have to say that I love that you took this and saved it. Such a cool idea. Also, you can nicely frame the photos of the wood and give as Christmas presents to other family members?

• Maura White Maura White on Nov 27, 2020

you could just use a coat of polyurethane.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Nov 28, 2020

Polycrylic will work best as it's water based, dries fast, and easy to apply. Here is the one I use: https://amzn.to/3qbnO5t

Hope this Helps! Jeremy - https://do-daddy.com

• Loleta Loleta on Nov 28, 2020

Lasur?

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Nov 28, 2020

I'd use poly for outdoors

• Michelle Michelle on Nov 29, 2020

Use Deft poly varnish. Antique dealers in wood boxes etc use this as their secret to making wood look great

• I'd use a coat of satin poly. I'd also ask at the paint store which brand, some yellow...but it doesn't look like you would see it on that wood.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Nov 30, 2020

Anything clear will work ..you could just use a coat of polyurethane.

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Dec 01, 2020

I would just put a clear varnish on it.

• Some polyurethane will seal that up but keep it out of direct light when you turn it into a wall decoration so that it doesn't fade. If it's in direct light, no sealer will keep it from fading.

• Em Em on Dec 02, 2020

Clear poly. I used regular poly on my bathroom floor and it continues to yellow. Go for a few light coats.

• Deb K Deb K on Feb 08, 2021

Hello, lots of people use Minwax Polycrylic Water Based Protective Finish in Clear Satin, use a regular paint brush and sparingly apply.