Asked on Nov 26, 2020

How can I unclog a toilet drain pipe?

Chas' Crazy CreationsAdrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little GnomeAgnes Chrzanowska
+15

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Pat.

Try using a Plumbers Plunger. Or in the Drain Hole - Use Plumbers Rods to clear it!

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! We use a plumbers snake if it is close enough to reach. Check your clean out on your sewer line because if it is filled to the top, it is backing up from further down the line. Check your lowest level toilet or shower to make sure your line isn't backing up. Hopefully it just a block in the toilet itself and easily fixed. Blockages often come from things like wipes that should not be flushed. When my kids were little, toys, washcloths and other things would get flushed! Good luck and stay safe!

William

Try using a toilet auger. Come in 3' and 6'

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-ft-Toilet-Auger-82-972-111/301879203

If the clog is further down the line you will need to remove the toilet and use a plumbers snake

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

Heat your water to almost but not boiling and then slowly pour it into the toilet. If hot water alone is not enough to break up the clog, try adding one cup of baking soda and two cups of vinegar to the bowl. This chemical reaction causes fizzy bubbles that can push your clog away.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Oh no, we just went through this and after plunging it to death we added dish soap and let it set and after about 10 min used the plunger again. Flushed no luck. Added more dish soap, then took a 8 qt pan of hot water( heated on the stove, but not to a boil) and held it several feet above the toilet and poured a steady stream into the toilet, the clog broke free after the 2nd pan of hot water. You don't use boiling hot water because it can melt your wax ring, creating further problems. Best to you, if after you have tried it all, call the plumber.

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

As suggested above, with our cottage toilet that is prone to clogging we have had good luck with almost boiling water. Just make sure to not pour boiling water into the bowl or it may crack. Flush the toilet are you start to poor the hot water so that it doesn't mix completely with the bowl water and turn cold.

• Sharon
    Sharon

I called a plumber and he snaked out my line all the way to the street for tree roots, then he snaked all the way to the storm drain across the street where it turned out the block was. Bad thing was it turned out I didn't have a sewer cleanout in this 1940s house so he had to punch two holes in the line to snake it out. Luckily the city came and did there share of cleaning up the mess and opened up the street where all the roots were so they put in a cleanout at the foot of the driveway. I had to pay for the snaking and a new cleanout, total $1600. The motto of this story, I've been gone for a year, and didn't put the root killer down the toliet twice that resulted in the problem, cause I've never had a problem in 20 years even with 100' cedar trees lining the whole driveway.

I also usually put main line cleaner down the toliet once or twice a year, Roebic Main Line and Drain Cleaner - its bacterial and eats the gunk, no corrosives.

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari

Snaking the drain or call a plumber

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Hi Pat, there are some posts here that may be able to help you:

Home and Garden DIY Ideas | Hometalk

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Plunging always works for me. I use green gobbler on a regular basis to clean pipes and septic system. If it is a serious clog, you can purchase a manual snaking device to clean it.

• Mogie
    Mogie

https://www.hometalk.com/21958809/unclog-a-toilet-without-a-plunger?expand_all_questions=1#!

Plunger. You rarely find the bowl empty when it's clogged. If the plunger doesn't work, it's time for the snake. If that doesn't work, it's time to call in the professionals.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir

This tool works best for unclogging toilet drains and it's great to have around the house for emergencies: https://amzn.to/39oiSE8

Hope this Helps! Jeremy - https://do-daddy.com

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

Plunge it

• Dee
    Dee

Home Depot sells an auger that you attached to your drill. Works great and is 50 feet long

• It depends on the clog, but generally if you try the plunder and chemical cleaners and they don't work, you'll need a snake.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

you can get snake at Home depot that should help that issue

• Pour some dish soap down and let it sit. Wait half an hour and then pour a kettle of hot water into the toilet. Push with the plunger really hard