Asked on Nov 30, 2020

Any idea for making a patio garden?

Simple Nature DecorCarrie @ Curly Crafty MomVimarhonor
+15

Hey all

We have recently bought a condo which consists of a small porch. We are planning to make a new patio with a garden. We currently have a bamboo plant, and we wish to plant some more shrubs to make the garden more attractive. The climbing plants in the garden that overlay on the patio makes it cold even in the summer season. Can anyone suggest all the specific things that I'd consider before planning to make a garden?

Suggestions? Ideas?

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

Hi Mack, can you let us know what zone you are in or where you live. Thanks! We would be happy to help with suggestions if we can.

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari

Does it get a lot of light or no?

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

HI Mack considerations on plants starts with two things: What zone you're in, how much light the plants will be getting throughout the day and how high/low maintenance they can be. After that you'll be narrowed down on what plants will actually work for you. Personally my local nursery has been a god send for helping me choose plants the work the best in my area.

• Just be careful with bamboo because it will spread and take over. Try planting it in containers

• I would also consider how much work/ expense you want your garden to be each year. We opt for perennials since the come back year after year, we don't have to buy much or do much planting once it's established.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

it all depends what you like to do there and how much space you have but i am positive you will find lots of ideas here https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=how%20to%20make%20patio%20garden&rs=typed&term_meta[]=how%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=to%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=make%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=patio%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=garden%7Ctyped

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

I would take photos of your space and take them to nursery in your area and they can tell you what would work best for your climate, sun, shade etc..

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Do you have an HOA Board for the Condo Community where you live?

Before you begin to make any plans to change the appearance of your porch/patio I would advise that you check with the HOA regulations first to learn what is/is not permitted.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

I found another link you might want to try! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/92886811054373711/

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Mack.

Buy or Borrow some Books on the subject. Invest some time to read them. Buy Garden design magazines and other garden magazines. They will all help you decide what to do. Make a List of all the things you want the garden to do for you! What you want to do in the garden! Where the sun rises and sets! etc....

• I've seen loads of great balcony patios of late and no doubt Hometalk has a slew of terrific ideas. Try the search bar at the top left and for sure you'll have tons of excellent inspiration.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Take a tour around your neighborhood and see what seems to grow well in your area, next take a trip to the local nursery center, have a picture of your patio in hand. See what they suggest for your gardening zone and soil/light.

• Sharon
    Sharon

I would leave the bamboo plant in its container as they can be very invasive. I'm not sure why the climbing plant makes it cold other than its cutting off the sunlight, if so dig it up or take cuttings and move it to a side that won't cut off your light. I agree with Redcat, I always check the neighborhood for ideas of successful plants.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. Plant suggestions must be suitable for your location or growing zone.

That would determine the best plant to suggest. Most plants success depend on their hardness to geographic planting zones presenting weather conditions. This information could give us more clue to give you the best suggestions for plant success!

Additionally for the best local professional advice

I would highly suggest contacting your cooperative extension. These offices are manned by volunteer master gardeners on site there waiting to answer the communities questions that know your local situation quite well.

Master gardeners are required to volunteer back designated hours ( plus continuing education) each year to maintain MG certification -this community outreach and education is their goal.

Best wishes in your patio garden landscaping adventures!

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

For my patio, I have a standing planter box that stands off the ground that I plant herbs, tomatoes and zucchini in and it works well. Then in some shorter pots below it you could grow a blueberry or blackberry bush, strawberries, etc.

• Simple Nature Decor
    Simple Nature Decor

You can use large slate pieces make a great patio