Asked on Dec 3, 2020

Sofa table makeover

SharonBetsyBecky at Flipping the Flip
+38

I want to redo this sofa table with a white washed look. However, the glass on both of the shelves is missing. I don’t want to replace it with glass because of the expense. Any other suggestions? I would like to use wood, but I’m concerned that wood inlays won’t look so good on the top because of the middle divider. Any suggestions please?

• Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita

You can cut board to fit into the gaps and paint them the same as the base. Or you can have a new piece of wood that will sit on the top.

• Nancy
      Nancy

Yes, a new board on the top is an idea to consider. Thanks!

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Very nice table!

You could white wash as you indicated and for the top you could cut 2 pieces of wood to fit, then put a wood transfer design on top of the new pieces. Take a look here for Iron Orchid Design and transfers, they also offer a tutorial:

https://ironorchiddesigns.com/

• Nancy
      Nancy

Thanks for your quick response. Your wood transfer idea is great. It also made me think of stencils. I think I’m on the right track now. Thank you!

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi Nancy, perhaps you can consider making a whole new top rather than two inlays. You can white wash the legs and frame and stain the new top a dark color

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

you could replace the top with recycled wood in different shades, fabric mounted to a board- here is more info for you

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/516295544764801051/

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

I think wood inlays would work just fine. Give the table the white washed look and stain the pieces of wood for a nice contrast.

• Nancy
      Nancy

I love that look.... seen it many times on Flea Market Flip. Thanks!

• If you don't want the wood, why not make a mosaic for each side with tiles or old dishes?

• Michelle
    Michelle

You could cast a resin top . Use the marbelizing technique or put pretty rocks, etc in .

• Nancy
      Nancy

One day I would love to try resin for something. I have some of the Hometalk projects saved. I love the process. Thanks!

• J Brown
    J Brown

The middle divider can be removed and reattached lower working as a support. I did this with a square coffee table that had the old glass inserts and put in tiles

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Could you leave the bottom space empty? One less thing to dust! Or cover a piece of wood with marble look contact paper (it can be pretty convincing!).

• Nancy
      Nancy

Thanks for your thoughts. I do need the extra shelf space though.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

You can go with tile but I don't think the divider would cause a problem with wood. Consider cutting the wood at an angle so that you have a herringbone pattern and the divider will look more natural. You might also go with a different finish on the inlays. Then it will look more purposeful. If you have artistic or find a pretty stencil, you could go that route on the inlays and give it a framed appearance.

• Judy in Canton.
    Judy in Canton.

make squares from plywood and cover with faux leather. Since you are planning to white wash the table consider a black leather top. Have fun you have many options.

• Nancy
      Nancy

I do have many options. Leather would be pretty, but I’m going beachy. Thanks!

• Get some plywood and cut it to fit and then paint it or do a chalk paint finish on it.

• Mogie
    Mogie

Stone is commonly used in outdoor tabletops, such as patio furniture, and it offers durability and a rustic look that is very appealing to many people. Marble is frequently used both indoors and outdoors as a tabletop replacement. You can paint the stone to match any pattern or color scheme, which is a benefit over glass since glass tabletops are typically clear and not decorated or modified much. Stone is a more expensive option, but its durability means it can last for years because stone won't shatter.

• Nancy
      Nancy

Love the idea of stone, however, I’m going for more of a beachy look. Thanks!

• Donna
    Donna

Chicken wire. Two pieces for each. Then add photographs, prints, art etc. You can change them out whenever I want

• Janice
    Janice

You can have tile cut to the size of the openings in the top of your table. This works great as you can place hot or cold drink mugs/glasses without fear of ruining wood or painted wood.

• Homeroad
    Homeroad

I would cover the whole thing with boards. Measure 1x6 boards to the length you want and nail it to the top of the table. Sand the boards then white wash them with white paint. You may even want to stain the boards first, let them dry then white wash it so the dark stain comes through in places.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. I would use wood and paint it whitewashed too.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! We recently had beveled glass shelves cut by a local merchant, and they were perfect size (you can also do a template from cardboard), and not as expensive as I had thought. If that is out of your budget, you could put a sheet of good quality plywood cut to size, and have a solid top. I redid a small table with a piece of galvanized metal for the top, and although everyone told me it wouldn't work, I use it every day and it works great! Good luck and stay safe!

The Perfect Little Table | Hometalk

• If you're planning on painting the table, inset some nice wood. You can paint that wood, do a mosaic, stencil it, stain it -- use the search bar at the top left for table ideas and you'll get a gazillion back.

Betsy

Hi Nancy: Have you considered a couple thick pieces of acrylic? I have a table similar to yours and when the glass broke, I had some acrylic sheets, about 1/8" thick, cut to size and it works great. My pieces are smaller, maybe 2' x2', so yours may have to be a bit thicker. Good luck

• Sharon
    Sharon

I've done makeovers on these and you can use 1/4" plywood cut to fill in the missing glass pieces and then cover those with vinyl print, heavy duty countertop contact paper, or you can paint them with epoxy paint and even do a speciatly technique on the panels such as crackle or striation.