DIY Salt Dough Ornaments

$10
1 Day

I wanted to do a quick DIY project this weekend and I thought creating these old salt dough ornaments would be so fun and festive! I haven’t made these since like elementary school so it was a lot of fun to do again. This is so simple and easy to do and only requires a handful of ingredients. Most of them you probably already have in your home already too, which is a huge plus!

This was more of an experiment for me too because I wanted to test out my liquid spices I have from Spray Gourmet. I wanted to see how well they would work in this recipe. I have actually used them to cook before and they taste great so I just wanted to see how the salt dough ornaments would turn out if I used them instead of the actual ground spices. Spoiler alert- they turned out amazing!

Materials Needed:

All Purpose Flour (2 cups)Salt (1 cup)Water (3/4 cup- 1 cup)Spray Gourmet Cinnamon Liquid Spice (2 tsp. You can use ground cinnamon instead too)Spray Gourmet Ginger Liquid Spice (2 tsp. You can also use ground ginger as well)Nutmeg (2 tsp)Cloves (2 tsp)Citrus Fresh Essential Oil (10 drops)

The first thing you need to do is mix together your flour, salt, citrus fresh drops, and all the spices. Then, you need to slowly add in your water. Don’t mix it all in at once because you don’t want your consistency to be too sticky.

After it is all mixed together, knead it into a ball on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out with a rolling pin to about 1/4 inch thickness. Then, using cookie cutters, cut out your ornament shapes!

Here is the ball of dough.

Place the ornaments onto cookie pans and be sure to cut out a hole in each ornament before baking so you can easily attach string or twine to it later. I used a toothpick and moved it around in circular motions until I made a big enough hole.

Now that you have all the ornaments prepared, it’s time to bake them! I preheated my oven to 170 degrees (you want your oven to be on the lowest setting as possible. Then, I baked them for one hour and flipped all of the ornaments over and put them back in the oven for another hour. So it took two hours total to bake them, but the whole house smelled so delicious as I was baking them. So that was another plus to this easy recipe!

Let the ornaments cool completely for a few hours, or overnight even. Once they are cool, you can begin to decorate with them!

You can obviously use them for what they are intended for- ornaments. Or you can be even more creative with them. You could easily make them into a Christmas Garland.

3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Charity

• Valentine63
    Valentine63

Hi..so if you use the ground cinnamon and ground ginger won't that turn the dough dark? That's what I liked about this recipe...it's light..I already make the dark ones! I questions you could make these and just omit the cinnamon if you don't want the color. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Charity
      Charity

Oh yeah! That all sounds amazing too! I will have to try that out next time!

• Krafty Mrs.K
    Krafty Mrs.K

I made "gingerbread" play dough for my Pre-K and kindergarten students. We played with it in art class and they took a baggie home to enjoy. I tell them to just let them air dry but it takes longer. In years past I have let the older kids "ice" them with glitter glue or tempera powder mixed in Elmer's glue.

• Stacy Darlea
    Stacy Darlea

Reminder to pet parents - keep out of reach of animals!!