Upcycled Christmas Card and Tin Can Ornament

$1

After Christmas, I always hang onto the Christmas cards I receive to repurpose and craft with. Last year I used them to style a tray for Christmas (see here).

When putting up my Christmas decorations, I came across the old stack of Christmas cards I saved and decided to use them with a couple of tin cans to make a couple of last-minute Christmas ornaments for the tree.

I used sardine cans for this ornament. Sardines on toast is comfort food for me so I often have a couple of tins lying around.

The edges of the tin are sometimes a little sharp. I use a Ryobi power file to dull the edges. You can also do it by hand, but it will just take a little longer.

Next, solder the ring pull to the back of the tin. If you don't have a soldering iron just use a hot glue gun instead.

Next, I spray painted the cans a creamy white.

The next stage was my favorite one and a great one for the kids. Sift through your Christmas cards and cut out any small pictures, signs, and Christmas stuff you like the look off. Magazines are also a great source for images.

Cut out a background for each tin can ornament.

For one of the ornaments, I decided to add a door. You can download the doors from my blog, there are 6 to choose from.

Place the background into the ornament.

Then add anything else you might like, such as a mini Christmas tree.

Add other bits and pieces you have cut from the Christmas cards. Just stick them on with a bit of glue. I use a hot glue gun.

There are more photos on the blog including the other winter wonderland tin can ornament I made.

I think the door ornament would look great with a photo of a loved one behind the doors. I think I'll hunt out some photos of the kids or the dog and make an ornament with them behind a door.

I love making repurposed Christmas ornaments, check out the personalized cotton reel map ornaments I made.

3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
15 Perfectly Round Tables
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Eliza
    Eliza

Adore this. ... Very Victorian Looking on A Dime

Charming ... Praying Next Christmas Have More Energy & Cash but This Sweet Idea Will be Affordable No Matter What ~~~ Eat $ 1 Sardine Tin Contents & Make ... Pray have cash &

Next Christmas could make a few & put tiny battery lights in each tin as a kind of little dangling chandeleur otherwise out kitties will attack them. Sooooooo Adorable 🌹

☮️ 🕊️✌️ To All in This 2021

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ Eliza

• Jamie Tyler Smith
    Jamie Tyler Smith

WHAT AN ADORABLE IDEA! I HAVE SOME SMALL CANNED HAMS FOR EMERGENCIES. DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD BE TO LARGE FOR THIS?