How to Update a Bathroom Vanity for Free

$5

Did you know you can use create a pretty detail and makeover your boring bathroom vanity cabinet using just scissors and tape? I’ll tell you how here.I ended up with a new bathroom vanity for free in the middle of this bathroom project.

CHECK OUT THE FULL POST TO READ HOW.

1. THE FIRST STEP IS PREP

Since this little cabinet was new in the box, it didn’t take much. I just wiped it down real quick with a cloth to remove any dust from packaging and storage.

Then, I went to gather my supplies and to my surprise there was no electrical tape in the house. You see, my husband is a power lineman and oftentimes rolls of electrical tape pile up on my entryway table as he empties his pockets after work. Today there was none, just my luck. I ended up using a different kind of tape I purchased for another product.

CHECK OUT THE FULL POST FOR MORE DETAILS ON THE TAPE I USED.

2. PLAN THE DEISGN YOU WANT

I taped a "guide" rectangle first. I used the edges of the flat part of this little cabinet face. Then I taped the inner rectangle against that. This made sure my rectangle was perfectly straight, and I didn’t have to use a ruler or a level.

Lazy girl tip!

Once the inside rectangle was taped, I pulled the "guide" rectangle off.

3. CREATE THE INVERTED CORNERS

No lazy girl tips on this one, I just 8 strips exactly the same length and made each corner of this rectangle "inverted"

The plan I had in my head was to only do this little rectangle with the inverted corners. However, it still seemed a little bland in my opinion.

4. TAPE AN OUTER RECTANGLE TO FRAME IT

I added another larger rectangle to frame it, and I definitely think it need that EXTRA detail.

Then again, I always err on the side of a little extra, or a lot if you ask my husband.

SIDE NOTE: This bathroom is HARD to photograph. It’s super long and skinny, and there’s no natural lighting. There is also no natural light coming into the hallway where it’s located. This leaves for a lot of wonky lighting situations and the color does change dramatically in these photos based on how many lamps I have carried down here and plugged in at the time of the photoshoot. It drives me crazy too, I’m sorry!

IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU'LL LOVE MY WEBISTE. CLICK HERE TO GO NOW!

Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Sydney Dawson

• Melinda Record
    Melinda Record

This is a really cool and clever technique to transform a "box-store" vanity into a unique, washroom focal point ~ love it. And love the entire look of this bathroom ~ you did an excellent job with all of it!

Thank you for sharing AND inspiring!

• Linda Abate
    Linda Abate

Your cabinet has gone from plain and boring to very glam. Great job.