DIY Gingerbread Houses

$10
1 Day

Y’all know my love for the Target Dollar Spot runs deep and I always find several goodies for the holiday season there. I also love to find cheap things that I can transform as well. Just like my simple Target Dollar Spot Hack I did last year as well. So that’s when I stumbled upon these cute little wooden houses, I thought they would be perfect to turn into DIY Gingerbread Houses instead! This was such a simple and easy DIY project and would be perfect to do with children as well!

Materials Needed For Project:

• Wooden Houses (I got mine from the Target Dollar Spot)
  • Brown Paint (I used CraftSmart Golden Brown)
  • Puffy 3D Fabric Paint in White
  • Paintbrushes
  • Fake Snow
These are what the houses looked like before.

The first thing you need to do to transform these houses into gingerbread houses is to of course paint them! I just used the cheap acrylic paint and chose a color that I thought looked the most like a gingerbread color. I linked it above for easy reference as well. It took me total of three coats, but it did not take me long at all because it dries fairly quickly. 

After my houses were completely dry, I added the puffy paint to them. Thank of it like you are icing a sugar cookie. I went around and outlined the windows and added in a few drops like the snow was falling from them. I also did the same thing to the rooflines to the houses as well.

DIP HOUSES INTO FAKE SNOW 

Before I started adding the puffy paint to the houses, I added some fake snow into a shallow bowl. That way I could easily access the fake snow while my puffy paint was still wet.

I covered the whole rooftop with the puffy paint. I was using it kinda of like a glue for this part. Once I covered the roof, I dipped the house into a bowl full of the fake snow. This way the wet paint secured the fake snow into place. I think it would be harder to add on if the paint was already drying so be sure to add the snow on as quickly as possible.

After adding all the fake snow to the houses, I set them up and let them dry overnight. I put the puffy paint on kind of thick, so I knew it would take a little extra time to thoroughly dry.

These DIY Gingerbread Houses were so much fun to make! It just took me like one afternoon to do them and now I have some more festive Christmas decor to style in my home. The best part about it is that it was fairly inexpensive to do as well!

The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Charity

• Melinda Record
    Melinda Record

These are ADORABLE. I too bought these at Target, but wasn't sure how I could spruce them up for the holidays and here you are with the solution! Thank you.

Your idea is so cute and clever, and I will definitely turn my Target houses into your Holiday houses next year.

Thank you for sharing AND inspiring.

• Jean
    Jean

These are a good size for window sitters.