My Dollar Store Christmas Ornament Topiaries

$20

I wanted to make some fun topiaries using Christmas ornaments so I gathered up some supplies from the dollar store and walmart and got started.

I purchased 6 larger sized plastic ornaments at Dollar Tree, and then I also bought

2 foam cubes, 2 small metal buckets, 2 5/16" dowel rods, wood caps, and a bag of decorative moss all from the craft section at Walmart. 

I started by drilling holes through the top and bottom and each of the ornaments using my drill and a 5/16" bit. This was a little bit tricky but I managed to get it done.  I did have to waller the holes a little bit since my bit was the same size as the dowel rods so that they would be able to fit through the holes. 

After I had the holes done, I did a quick dry fit to see where I needed to cut my dowel rods because they were longer than I needed for my project. Then I took them outside and used my jigsaw to cut them down to the length that I needed. 

I also planned to use 2 of the wood caps and gave them a quick coat of silver spray paint while I was outdoors. 

Then it was time to assemble my topiaries. 

I placed the foam cube inside the metal bucket, then added the dowel rod to the center.

Next I placed the ornaments that I wanted to use onto the dowel rod and finished it off with the wood cap.

Then I added some decorative moss to cover the foam, and added a fun buffalo check bow to each one. I think they are a fun addition to my Christmas decor.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
ClutteredCorkBoard

• Deb Tannah
    Deb Tannah

Couldn't you just glue ornaments together?

• Katen
      Katen

I’m sure you could glue but as noted above, your going to need generous amount which will show and transition between bulbs could be messy. That can be fixed with ribbon, or a ring of smaller bulbs, which I have seen and equally nice. But the initial idea is use what you have on hand. My thought is tape wooden skewers together (end to end) and add bulbs and holes would be nice and small and make any height you want and most of us have on hand. I also have metal skewers that would work but the wooden ones you can cut to desired height. Many ideas coming to mind

• AndradeTea
    AndradeTea

Adorable!

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Nice fabrication. I suppose you could make a stacked snowman on a wooden disk too......using your technique.