How to Build a Frame Around a Window With Added Window/Curtain Box

$250

We have a very large curtain rod over our window, and it just didn't have the aesthetic finished look I wanted for this room. So, I added a new feature to our window with a DIY curtain box. It made such a beautiful feature to an otherwise boring wall. And it was a fairly easy and budget friendly DIY.

Window and Blinds Before

The plastic blinds started to warp and this window looked like an eye sore because of it. Like all room refreshes, one thing led to another, and new blinds led to adding new curtains for a more layered look. That's when I added the curtain rod, and thought it looked heavy still.

Frame Above the Window on right

I used 1x2 select pine to frame the ceiling above the window from end to end of the wall.

Frame above window on left

After putting up the frame along the edge of the wall above the window I added another frame with 1x2 pine, which would be used to attach the pine to frame the ceiling.

Second frame going up

This second frame was spaced 12 inches apart from the first one, along the whole wall of the window. For a little extra, I continued the framing onto the wall on the left and right to add more of a wood and bulk feature to the room (but you don't have to add to the walls. Just boxing the window is fine).

Adding the framing onto the wall

Here's how the framing on the wall looks. I'll be framing and adding 1/4 " pine to it for aded wood feature.

Add pine to frame around window

Pine added to frame of ceiling

Nail the pine into the frame made.

Pibe added to wall frame

Pine was stained and added along the wall and the ceiling by the window. As seen in the picture below.

Wood frame is stained

I basically framed the whole side of the wall. I ended up adding strip lighting around the wood too. Back to framing the ceiling....

Box made for around the window

Select pine (3/4" x 12") box was made to add in front of the window. Then stain one it's nailed up.

Window box

Last step is to put up the window box created to add to the framing. Here's the window box nailed into the frame, and stained. Love the look of this, I think it gives a chic boutique hotel vibe.

The curtain box

This curtain box covered up the large curtain rod, but also gives the room a modern simple look.

Strip Lighting

I also added strip lighting strings the frame and beneath the curtain box giving it even more modern vibes.

Hope you like this.

If you want to see more of this being installed, check out my instagram bubble titled "FALL 2020 ORC"

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3OTE1MDAzMTc5NDgzMTU1?igshid=5mksh3r16agl&story_media_id=2427305985428089286_10181349765

25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants