Adding a Decorative Detail to a Bland Doorway

$100

After completing the wall between my dining room and living room, I felt that something was still missing. I couldn't figure out what it was until I saw Ashley from At Home with Ashley on Instagram place 4x6x8 posts between her kitchen and family room. She did this so that she could place crown molding in the kitchen and not be obligated to also add crown to the rest of the home. I went to Pinterest to find some additional inspiration for this project. I was then ready to upgrade my doorway to the living room. Here is how I did it.

I started by cutting my 4x6x8 posts to size.

I then attached them to the wall using 3" lag screws.

After installing the posts, I felt like the new doorway trim was too narrow, but I decided to keep going and modify the project as I saw fit.

After a light sand I was ready to paint. Initially I wanted to paint the frame white, but since I still had the never-ending can of black paint left over from 3 previous project, I decided to use this paint. My additional thought process in choosing the black paint was that I would not be able to see the tannins bleed through at the knots of the wood like I surely would be able to if I just used white paint. There are ways of sealing the knots to avoid the tannins bleeding though, but the process that I know of involves some pretty strong primers and my husband is very sensitive to smells to I opted for the darker color. (If you know of anything that is not super strong smelling that can be used to seal knots, please let me know!). This picture was taken at the end of day 1, and by this time I knew for sure that I needed to "kick it up a notch" with the decorative details of this piece.

After a relatively rough night of tossing and turning as I mulled over how I was going to "beef up" the trim, I decided to go to Lowes first thing in the morning and pick up some 1x2x8 primed boards to add to the outside perimeter. This would allow the trim to have a more substantial appearance. I also added a piece of 1.25" crown moulding to the top of the trim.

With the crown added and painted black.

I still felt like the trim needed one more decorative element to finish it off, so I opted to add a .5" trim to the inside corners to add the finishing touch.

Last piece of trim has been added!

After some caulk and a few coats of paint.... DONE!

*Please ignore any wonky bits you see in the ceiling... that is one of my future projects... in addition to putting down flooring to cover the plywood floors... and and and.....*sigh*......

Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try

• AllyR
    AllyR

Is that a popcorn ceiling? The funnest most messy thing ever was taking mine down. I like your framed doorway. My walls are plastered so would protect the corners.

• Nicole Juarez DIY
      Nicole Juarez DIY

It certainly is the highly coveted popcorn ceiling!!! 😂

Thank you! 🤗

I am debating about covering it rather than taking it down... but I am still not sure yet! 🤔

• Natasha
    Natasha

The doorway turned out so nice! It compliments the room it leads into as well as the accent wall. How did you do the accent wall? I'd love to try and recreate it!

• Natasha
      Natasha

Awesome! Thank you! I'm going to look it up right now. Looking forward to more of your beautiful DIY projects. Well done!👍🏾👍🏽👍🏿👍🏻

• Mary
    Mary

Does this not make the dining room very dark?

• Nicole Juarez DIY
      Nicole Juarez DIY

No it doesn’t. All the other walls are painted in Valspar Ultra White. In addition, there is a large bay window.