$25 Kitchen Island Update

$25

Yep- I know this is a peninsula and not an island. But I feel like most people have an island and not peninsula... I don't know. Anyway- Let's update it!

This peninsula has been through a couple of transformations at this point. When we bought the house, it was just your standard, builder grade, orangey wood. Blah, right?

This was phase one of my kitchen update!

So for its first transformation, I used faux brick hardy board and painted each brick in different shades of grey paint. It was super cute. BUT. As my style evolved, I was venturing away from my days of all grey everything. Breaking out of my comfort zone and losing that little grey safety net. I fell in love with COLOR! And I fell in love with finding new, modern ways to use it.

Enter the slatted wood trend. Holy smokes am I in love with it. I've done a slatted wood wall in my entry (more on that in another post) and knew I wanted to incorporate it into another area and add a fun pop to it. And my safe grey peninsula fit the bill.

So I pried off the hardyboard and went to work.

I bought 20 lattice strips for 99 cents each and a sample jar of paint in Behr Shebang.

Then I planned out a pattern- once I got started though, I forgot about my pattern and its on the opposite side that I wanted it to be, oh well.

I cut the strips to fit and used my brad nailer and a piece of 1” scrap wood to keep the spaces even.

Pattern should have been flipped but it’s oka

Then I painted! Behr Shebang is the perfect earthy sage green. A sample size jar was more than enough.

Thats it! Brand new updated peninsula for less than $25!

Join me on Instagram for more DIYs and for the full video of this update!

Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Everything Red For Canada Day
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!

• Conipwl
    Conipwl

Don't understand the change of pattern...just your personal preference or what? Like the look overall!

• Meg
      Meg

Right, yeah. I had originally planned for it to be on the opposite side and wrap around but I forgot once I started 😂 got too excited I guess. But yeah, just my personal preference. I like different patterns and textures and can always change it up down the road.

• Eva
    Eva

Lovely!! Came out great!! I have the same orangy cabinets :-(. I wanted to ask you what your flooring is and color, etc. I'm liking the color.

• Meg
      Meg

Thank you! It’s lumber liquidators pewter oak. 🖤

• Marie
    Marie

Could you show more details on you shelves across the window please?

• Meg
      Meg

Here are some screenshots for my Instagram highlights.

• Lynne
    Lynne

i wanted to ask how you did you attach the shelves to your window. i really like that idea, because i have so many plants plus a cat.

• Meg
      Meg

Hey Lynne! So glad you like them! I added some pictures of how I attached them under one of the questions on here bc so many had the same question. I hope that helps! I love having shelves there for propagating plants!

• AndradeTea
    AndradeTea

I love the lattice application! I have been searching for ideas for my plain island ... I think this would fit the bill! Thanks for sharing your project!