Closet Makeover + DIY Built In Desk

$10

We finally finished this closet makeover and I am so excited to share with you the finished product! This was a mess full of toys and no organization. I shopped my house and only purchased the lights for this entire project!

I started by taking apart the closet which just had a wood shelf and closet rod in it.

I then used a small white bookshelf I had on hand, and the wood shelf from the closet, to create a built in desk. I used the bookshelf to support one side of the shelf, and a closet bracket for the other side. This created my freestanding desk.

Next, I updated the desk by giving it a fresh coat of pink. We had just used this color on the shiplap in the playroom, so it was the perfect accent in the closet too. I just used a small 2" angled brush to quickly apply two coats of pink paint.

With the leftover paint and one of Ryan's craft paint brushes, I hand painted rainbows on the wall above the desk. This was so easy and just a flick of the wrist. They are not meant to be perfect, but as if a child had painted them on, hence being in a kids room.

To finish this space, I hung up a kraft paper roll so that she can draw on the "wall" or pull it down and have creative freedom to draw on the desk.

Finishing this space off with some whimsical lights, and a white painted metal stool, I think it's perfect! We now have so much space to create and color, and a spot to organize many of her favorite books for easy access!

• Wood Shelf
  • Bookshelf
  • Paint

3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Hayden Scharrer

• Brenda begg
    Brenda begg

Lovely! I wonder too, where do you hang the clothes and put shoes?

• Hayden Scharrer
      Hayden Scharrer

This is a double closet. I am only showing one side of it. The other side is identical and will be renovated next week for clothes and shoes. This is also a playroom not a bedroom I should add although we do keep her clothes in here.

• Gayla Voss
    Gayla Voss

LIKE THE OTHERS.....WHERE DO YOU HANG HER CLOTHES? THIS WOULD BE GREAT FOR MY GRANDSON WHO IS LOSING SPACE IN HIS BEDROOM AND NEEDS A PLACE FOR HIS ART DESK, BUT ALSO NEEDS A PLACE TO HANG HIS CLOTHES!

• Hayden Scharrer
      Hayden Scharrer

This is a playroom not a bedroom. Also it is a double closet so you are only seeing one side. The other side will be redone next week and will fit her clothes and shoes and other toys.

• Mary
    Mary

So creative! I know you only bought the lights, but I am curious about the skinny wall shelf holding the books. Where did you find that (I mean before it came to your house)?

• Nancy
    Nancy

Makes me want to make an art “room” for me, since mine are grown with grown kids. Be great for my great grandchildren when they get a little older. Thank you for sharing.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

From the viewpoint of safety, I would securely attach the lights to the wall or to the ceiling, instead of keeping them loosely hanging. I can foresee arms and hands getting caught on the wire, possibly causing a loss of balance and a fall off the stool.