No heat on for 2 weeks

+10

I live in Norway. I recently got my own apartment and are not fullt awere of things to do before leaving. Im now away from my apartment for 2 weeks during winter and now getting a little paranoid for cold damages. I live in a bigger house made of wood. with one househould below me and one next to me.

I left my first floor with two heaters set on 15 Celcius / wich is about 60 F. While everything else is unplugged and I left a vent partly open for airflow. Water is on. This should be good.

Now my problem and reason for this post is my second floor above which is seperated and is its own tiny apartment. This floor is unused with no furniture and is completly unplugged with no heaters while the water is STILL ON. Also only left one vent open for air flow. Been like this for months.

There has been 1 to 3 Celcius / 34 F the last week and is going to be down to -10 Celcius / 14 F the comming week. The building is of wood and it well insulated. Will it be fine with no heating during these degrees even when the water is on??

• If the temperature stays above freezing, the pipes should be OK, but since you're expecting colder temperatures, I would call someone to stop by and check it.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Jan 03, 2021

if you are expecting low temperatures your heat should be set on a low temperature to keep your apt pipes from freezing- we were in a condo rental and our next door neighbor left for 2 wks and turned off her heat and hot water and pipes froze and busted and flooded our condo as well because of all the water..you could call your landlord and ask them to check on your apt and the temperature inside

• Betsy Betsy on Jan 03, 2021

Hi Henrik: If you can keep the heat to at least 45 degrees F or 7 Celcius inside of the upstairs apartment, things should be o.k. Are you talking about space heaters? I'd be reluctant to leave space heaters running without anyone around to check on them. They can be dangerous. If you're referring to the whole house furnace, that should be o.k. What is the temperature in the second floor apartment? Since heat rises, can you leave doors open so that heat goes into that area to keep it warm? If it's below 32 F/ 0 C up there, I'd be concerned since that is the freezing point and pipes could burst. Especially if the water is still on, and they burst, your lower area could flood. Not good :( I'd err on the side of caution and turn the heat on to keep it no colder than 45 F/7C. If you have water spigots on the outside of the building, I'd turn the water off for them inside of the house and turn them on the outside so that they drain and don't freeze. For peace of mind, for a few dollars more, I'd put the heat on. Good luck

• Mogie Mogie on Jan 03, 2021

We had an empty home sit for about a year. I just set the thermostat at 50 degrees. It was empty but I didn't want to invite any problems caused by cold and damp weather. The heat will naturally rise.

If you aren't going to be home consider putting timers on your lights.

Also have your mail stopped and same with a news paper so it isn't so obvious nobody is there.

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Jan 03, 2021

The heat will rise to the apartment above you, but I would be concerned about the water pipes freezing and if that happens the water will obviously affect your apartment. I would contact the landlord and have them go in and check the apartments in your absence.

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Jan 03, 2021

Not sure if you can winterize part of your home. Here are some tips that might help - https://www.grangeinsurance.com/tips/10-tips-to-winterize-your-home

• Cindy Cindy on Jan 03, 2021

Hello Henrik. Your apartment upstairs should be ok. Heat rises so that unit should benefit from the 2 heaters you left on and the unit below you. The building being well insulated will also help. But since you expect temps to go below freezing, I'm concerned about freezing pipes. I think you should have someone check on it in your absence. Good luck Henrik.

• Janice Janice on Jan 04, 2021

If this is very concerning to you, perhaps you could alert your landlord and ask them to check your apartment to be sure. In that way you are being a responsible tenant and won't risk damage to the owner's property. They likely have more experience and will appreciate your concern and can hjandle the issue appropriately.

• Deb K Deb K on Jan 05, 2021

Hi Henrik, I think that you should be okay, heat rises, so the heaters you left on should keep the floor of the apartment warm enough to prevent any freezing in the upstairs apartment.

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Jan 05, 2021

Here are tipsI for mountain homes. This is what people do to prevent damage when they leave their mountain home.https://www.breckenridgeassociates.com/blog/did-you-know-10-tips-for-winterizing-your-mountain-home.html

• Sharon Sharon on Jan 06, 2021

I lived in Northern Canada for 20 years, I would have erred on the side of caution and left the heat on in the unused space on 50 degrees F due to the water pipes and possible snow dams on roof. I think you could ask your landlord to at least put in a water alarm in the unheated space to alert someone if the pipe bursts during sub-zero weather. We always used foam liners for pipes in unheated spaces, and also heated pipe covers for problem areas if you have electricity. I don't know about Norway, but if your pipe freezes out to the street, they will turn your water off til Spring thaw so it doesn't affect everyone else's.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jan 07, 2021

Heat does rise I think it will be fine are the heaters safe they won’t start a fire