New Life for a Thrift Store Dresser

$55

I found an old solid wood dresser at a thrift store and gave it a face lift with a little TLC and paint.

My son needed a dresser for his room. I wanted something sturdy but I didn't want to spend a lot of money.

I found this vintage wood dresser at a thrift store for $20.00. It was missing a pull and had a some splitting as well as deep scratches and other damage.

I got it home and gave it a good cleaning. When I pulled out the drawers, I actually found the missing hardware so that was a bonus!

I used soap and water to clean it and a magic eraser to remove the wax pencil used to price it at the thrift store.

I filled all the cracks and gouges with wood putty.

There was a lot to fill. I was sure to let the putty dry completely.

Once dry, I sanded the entire dresser. I wanted to be sure it was completely smooth when I was done.

One of the drawer slides was broken so I secured that back in place.

Then I wiped the entire dresser down to prep it for paint.

I let my son choose the color and he chose blue.

I used milk paint on this dresser. I thought I was going to distress it but changed my mind. If I did this again I would use a good latex paint.

I used a foam brush to keep the finish super smooth.

This paint goes on pretty thin so I gave it 5 coats in all and let it dry completely between coats.

Once dry, I used a clear furniture finishing wax to seal it. I gave it 3 coats of wax and let the wax dry between coats.

I decided to use the hardware as is. I just washed it with soap and water and used an old toothbrush to get into the crevices. I like the patina it had naturally.

I love the way it turned out and I only spent about $55.

Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th

• Laurie Coyne Jaensch
    Laurie Coyne Jaensch

curious why you would have chosen latex?

• Sharron Christie
      Sharron Christie

I’m not the author but I agree with Gisele. I find a good latex paint is so much easier to work with rather than chalk paint which dries very quickly making it difficult to work with. As well, a polyurethane sealer is much easier to apply and more durable. I expect that is the reason for her comment.

• Penny
    Penny

In the before picture the one hardware is missing, how did you replace it?

• Sandra L Warren
    Sandra L Warren

Did you attach the two bottom drawer pulls upside down on purpose?

• Denise Mines
      Denise Mines

My mistake. They are upside down. But that's how they are on the original, too.