DIY Yarn Wrapped Hearts

$2

I made these neutral color hearts to use for Valentine's day decor. They turned out so cute, I wanted to share the process for DIY yarn wrapped hearts with you.

Obviously, you could use any color yarn for these. I just chose this neutral variegated yarn to fit my decor.

This particular yarn varies in color from ivory to a dark taupe. Some hearts turned out ivory, some were dark taupe and some had a variation of both.

Unfortunately, I lost the packaging for this yarn and haven't been able to locate it, but here is a similar one.

To make these yarn wrapped hearts, you will need a piece of paper (to make a pattern), a piece of cardboard or heavy cardstock, tape, scissors and yarn of your choice.

To begin, I folded a piece of paper in half

and drew a shape of half of a heart, using the fold of the paper.

Next, I cut out the heart

and traced it on to the cardboard.

Then I cut out my heart shape.

Now it's time to begin wrapping your heart. To keep the yarn secure, I taped the end of my yarn to the cardboard heart.

Then, you just start wrapping. Continue wrapping until you have completely covered the cardboard heart.

This is what your heart will look like when you are done. Cut the yarn, leaving a few inches to tie off.

To tie the yarn off, just loop it through itself and tie in a knot.

When you have tied your yarn in a knot, cut the remainder of the yarn off fairly short and tuck in the end.

The back of you heart will look like this,

and the front will look like this.

Next, you will want to make a loop for hanging, if you plan to hang your heart. I cut about a 10" piece of yarn and folded it in half.

Pull the doubled piece of yarn through a piece of yarn at the top of your finished heart.

Pull the cut ends through the loop and pull tight to secure.

Then, make a knot in the yarn and tie off at whatever length you want your hanging loop to be.

And that's it!! Super easy and quick Valentine's day craft.

I made several and plan to hang them on a tree of Valentine's decorations and also use a few at place settings paired with my

book page tablerunner.

These would also be cute strung side by side to create a garland or even just stacked in a bowl.

As I mentioned, I used neutral yarn because it fits my decor, but traditional pink, red and white ones would be so cute!!

17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Vintage Home

• Rhonda Dale
    Rhonda Dale

You didn't say about how big your heart shape was, although you could make them any size, these looked to be about the size of your hand? Looks like a really pretty easy craft to make. Thanks for sharing.

• Vintage Home
      Vintage Home

Yes, Rhonda you could definitely make them any size. Mine are about 4-5 inches.

• Sherry
    Sherry

How would it look to color the cardboard in pinks or other colors, not wrap quite so much yarn, and put it on a stick that says "You tug at my heartstrings"?

• Rachel Bower Ooten
    Rachel Bower Ooten

I ABSOLUTELY Love this Idea, I Used Valentines Colors. Will be Something that can be put up Year after Year.

I also have Heart Cookie Cutters that I used.

• Judi L
    Judi L

I just made five yarn hearts in different sizes

This is a fun craft & is wonderful for valentines. Thank you, Judi

• Vintage Home
      Vintage Home

Oh, good! So glad you enjoyed this craft!

I plan on making some larger ones too!

• Rachel Bower Ooten
    Rachel Bower Ooten

Wish you Could Post Pictures in these Message Boards ....made mine with Valentines Colors and Created A Garland to hang from the Mantle, it turned out So Adorable !!