Creative Beauty With Joint Compound

$20

Hello everyone, I'm Cindy and blog at Cloches & Lavender. I have posted a few times on Hometalk sharing Fall and Christmas crafts.

It's great to be back for the new year and share a project.

The project I'm sharing today came about when I purchased two Cameo plaster ware plaques.

As you will see, they are beautiful and I wanted to come up with a plan to display in a way that would make these shine.

Let me share a photo of the pieces I'm referring to.

Next, I decided to use a wood sign I had hanging as the back drop for these beauties.

Here's, how it started.

It got taken outside and molding was added to give it a more finished look.

Before I began adding the joint compound I measured and placed two screws into the sign before hand. You can see screws in the picture above. This step was important because the plaques are plaster and are delicate.

While it's sitting on saw horses, I grabbed my tub of joint compound and a putty knife.

Next, I began adding bits of joint compound starting in the corner. I think this is the best place to begin.

The frame has a bit of filler from the nails. I don't want you to be concerned joint compound will get allover the molding.

Now, my husband was a bit skeptical about this processing turning out the way I envisioned.

I however, wasn't and knew it was going to work if I followed my plan.

Applying the joint compound took about twenty minutes and this is what it looked like.

As you can see the piece isn't completely covered. Here's why, because I wanted to achieve a plaster look like the plaques needed it not be perfect.

At this point, I let this dry overnight.

Here's a close up of the plaster.

As I stated on my blog, I deeply apologize for not taking a picture of the next step. I was excited and pleased and for got to get a shot. Rest assured it is very simple.

The raised portions you see in the above photo need to be knocked down just a tad. Doing this will give the look of plaster once painted. Using a 220 grit sanding sponge I sanded where these pieces were.

I simply vacuumed the dust off.

Two coats of Jolie paint were used to get the same coloring of the plaques I planned to hang.

Once the paint dried very well. I added a light coat of Artisan Enhancement using a chip brush, this step is optional.

I took pictures closeup of the plaster after it was hung so the movement of the plaster could be seen and the look. Lying flat did not allow to share these shots.

Here it is hanging in our kitchen. I am beyond thrilled with this piece and love it everyday I see it in our kitchen. It truly looks exactly how I envisioned.

I hope you enjoyed this DIY. It's very simple and doesn't take long to create.

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I hope this encourages you to give something similar to this a try!

15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Cindy McTigue

• Susan Beery
    Susan Beery

I can’t get my head wrapped around why there was a need to use joint compound. Were you looking for depth/thickness or texture? Just curious. For me, it’s too white. In our home opting for a contrasting or complimenting color would enhance the ladies beauty. I think of cameo where a wedge wood blue or softened teal is the background making the ivory ladies more regal and commanding attention. Cool concept, but I remain curious to learn about selecting joint compound as your background

• Lisa
    Lisa

Dear @Cindy McTigue - it is lovely. I think that 'plaster' look is great and I'll keep it in mind for a future project. Thank you so much for sharing your method with us!

• Cindy McTigue
    Cindy McTigue

Great idea but I don't decorate French Country Farmhouse anymore. I decorate French Country.