An Easy DIY Custom Lamp From A Vase!

$75

Want to know how to create an easy DIY custom lamp from a vase?! AND, staying within budget?! Then you've come to the right place because I have the easy peasy how-to!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that lamps are personal. More often than not, when I'm shopping for a lamp, I'm doing so with a specific room in mind. Sometimes, though, when I find a lamp at a thrift or antique store that I absolutely have to have (and the price is right), then I'll buy it and figure out where it'll fit in.

Now, having spewed my affinity for lamps, my rule of thumb is always budget. If I find a lamp that I love and was exactly what I was looking for, but is out of my price range, then I'll pass. Patience is my thing because I know eventually I'll find one, or even design and make one, that will be perfect.

Case in point, this DIY lamp that I made from a vase!

When I was doing some inspirational shopping for a lamp or two in the dining room, I wasn't finding exactly what I had in mind. I certainly shopped thrift stores and salvage shops, and even ventured in to a few lighting design stores. Yet when I would find a lamp close to what I wanted, it was at a full retail place and the price was way too high and out of my budget.

I took a double take on a pine green glass vase that I had on hand. When I'm not using it, it is stored on a shelf above our washer and dryer. And one day while folding a load of laundry, I looked at it and thought "if only I could find a lamp with a base exactly like that vase."

And the lightbulb in my head lit up.

Here's how to wire up the vase:

Sean cut a circle the size of the opening of the vase, to use as a base for the socket. He measured and drilled a hole for the bolt, then using a lamp kit, he wired up the socket. Then, he screwed the socket on to the bolted base.

And just like that, we have a custom lamp. An easy DIY project that again, was easy on my wallet.

The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Memorial Day Crafts
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Brooke Fedigan

• Loretta
    Loretta

Where did you get the lampshade trim? Love it!

• Curious about the birds in that black tray. Can you tell me anything about them? Last spring i was doing yardwork at my grandpas house and dug a bird just like that out of the flower bed. I washed it up and its bow sitting on his kitchen window sill

• Brooke Fedigan
      Brooke Fedigan

Hi Rachel,

They are old Fitz and Floyd candleholders. I found the pair at a flea market a few years ago, but I have seen them on eBay. I just love their whimsy. How great that you found one in a your flower bed!

• Robin
    Robin

Great idea!! (That’s how I think, too- if only I could find a lamp like that... 😂 lol ok!) Did you use anything to weigh down the base? It looks empty... I’d need to fill with dollar store gems so it doesn’t get knocked over easily.

• Roberta Cowan Weadley
    Roberta Cowan Weadley

Hi Brooke - nicely done! How did you handle the cord?

• Brooke Fedigan
      Brooke Fedigan

Hi Roberta,

The cord comes out of the bottom of the socket and nesting falls along the back of the lamp. More often than not, you can't even see the cord.

• Tonya
    Tonya

Great idea and executed very well!! tfs