Asked 5 days ago

How can I add weight a desktop tape dispenser to keep it from tipping?

Lifestyles HomesChristiFlipturn
+17

William

How about gluing or screwing a piece of wood to the bottom slightly larger than the base of the dispenser. You could hot glue washers to the bottom for weight.

• Usually they have sand in them to give them weight. Could it just need a non-skid surface on the bottom to keep it from moving? Otherwise, I agree with William, attach something with weight to the bottom.

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

You could use a glue gun to add some dots to the bottom of it. When the dots dry they will provide a non-stick surface and keep it from slipping around.

• Em
    Em

I don't know what kind you have but mine has a pretty large base. You could cut out a piece of two by four using the base of the dispenser as a template. Sand paint and glue to the bottom of the dispenser.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

The bottom needs weight to hold it in place, glue something like a piece of marble, maybe you can get something from a leftover at a marble/granite shop.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

There are countless models of tape dispensers made from different materials.

Please post a picture of yours so that we can see what you are working with.

• Christi
    Christi

Thank you for you solutions.

The dispenser is ceramic so drilling is not possible. I think I will try the glue dots on the bottom for some stability.

I will post a picture when I return work

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Christi, you can glue a rubber "grippy" to the bottom and that may hep it to quit slipping, there ceramic should be heavy enough

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi Christi, is your dispense hollow inside?

• You can tape a block of wood to the base, larger than the dispenser.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi Christi,

Stick it to Lead or Concrete or heavy book, or maybe Velcro it to the desk!

• Christi
    Christi

Yea it’s hollow. I thought of putting sand in a snack size ziplock bag but not sure how to get it to stay put.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor
    Yesterday

Hello. Can you show us the bottom of your tape dispenser to see what kind of area we have to work with?

• Christi
    Christi
    Yesterday

Here are some pictures

• Flipturn
    Flipturn
    Yesterday

Thanks for the pictures.

I can see now that the cause of the tipping over is most likely due to the shape of the dispenser being higher than it is wide. Also, there is no weighted inside cavity the way other styles of tape dispensers have, as here it is hollow. Unfortunately, the design team went for form and not function on this one.

I would say do not try to add anything to the bottom of it as that will only result in the height being increased, making it more unstable.

You could try to attach the lowest part on to a base that is wider than the present bottom, with a zip tie, but that may not look attractive.

Another idea is to put the entire dispenser into a heavy weight wooden or metal rectangular box but, once again, that may not look attractive, and may interfere with other items on your desk, or accessing the tape roll.

Considering your time and how annoying it may be to have it tipping over, it may be more expedient to simply purchase a new heavy stable dispenser.

• Christi
    Christi
    Yesterday

Thank you all for you for your great help and ideas! I may just continue to struggle with it as my son gave it to me for Christmas as a gift and sees my desk daily!

Mom’s that’s what we do!

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes
    Just now

You can drill ceramic with a proper drill bit.

You could mix fine dry sand with epoxy and fill up the bottom.

If you glue it to a wider piece of wood, drill it to hold pencils/pens before painting it. Make the base look functional.