DIY TV Built-ins From Facebook Marketplace Cabinets

$200

This past summer I created built-ins at our cottage using stock upper kitchen cabinets as a base. I considered the build a practice run because I wanted to do the same thing at our home.

Well I did! But I did it for even less expensive!

I found these 5 cabinets on Facebook Marketplace for $40 for ALL FIVE!! I sent my husband out late at night to pick them up because I didn't want anyone else to take them.

They were the perfect base for built-ins for our family room.

I started off by removing the tops because they had a rounded edge, and then screwing them together using shims to level them out.

I purchase a 1x12x10 for a seamless top and screwed that on from the bottom.

I also made holes in the back for cords and electrical outlets.

Once the cabinets were painted and attached together I started with the shelving. I purchased 2x10s and created box all around the top.

I wanted it to feel like one unit. I attached the boards together by creating pocket holes using my Kreg Jig and screwed them together for a really strong joint.

I then added shelves at the height and width I wanted and painted the whole thing Simply White by Benjamin Moore. Once everything was painted I decided to elevate the design a little more so I added 1x3 Primed MDF trim boards all around the shelving.

This added such a beautiful finish!

I am obsessed the way it came out! It's everything I wanted! And because I purchased the cabinets off of Facebook Marketplace the whole thing cost just under $200! That's insane!

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Tara Boettger

• Lindi
    Lindi

W O W W O W W O W

This is absolutely awesome. I just wish I had the room to do something like this.

Kudos, loads of Brownie points and a HUGE pat on the back for you my luv‼️

• Liz48878300
    Liz48878300

I have kitchen cabinets that we got from a friend for out cabin, I want to know if I can paint them & how the cat h is they have a large square of the fts of the doors of beige formica that I hate, want all white, can u help

• I love this! I need to do something similar to place my new large TV. I like that no wires showing and would like to know how you managed to hide them. Also, I see a soundboard, but no DVR box; how did you hide the box? Thanks!

• Tara Boettger
      Tara Boettger
      Just now

We don’t have cable. So no box! We just use Hulu, prime and Netflix. For the cables they are run down a hole in the wall in back of the tv and come out in a hole behind the cabinets. The cabinets have a hole cut in them and there is a power cord in there.

• PAMELA
    PAMELA

SUPER..SO NICE TO GET A BARGAIN AND HAVE A USEFUL PLAN..WAY TO GO!

• Gail
    Gail

This has a really great look. I am impressed. Thank you so much for giving me ideas. I have been looking for shallow cabinets for under the hangover on my kitchen counter into the next room. I'll try habitat for humanity and see if they have upper cabinets. I can cut some off the back. Only the left and right sides need to be straight