DIY Custom Organizer

$2

My organization strategy is to make putting things away easier than leaving stuff on the counter... otherwise, I won't do it.

So I've become a pro at whipping up these easy organizers that store exactly what I want to keep out.

This one goes on my nightstand, and has everything I need at night and first thing in the morning!

A few pieces of scrap wood and some screws made up the majority of this build!

I started out by planning the organizer. I wanted to make sure it had room for everything I needed to store (phone, planner, contact solution, etc.)

Then I assembled the frame out of 1x8s ( full cutlist here.) All the joints were really simple - butt joints secured with countersunk screws. I could've done pocket holes, but that was extra time that just wasn't worth it.

I knew from the beginning I was painting this, so countersinking and filling screw holes was quick and easy.

I built the back divider, than secured it in the frame.

Once again, all joints were countersunk screws.

The front shelves were secured to a divider piece.

Then the whole shelf mechanism was added to the frame.

On the left front side, I added a shelf, securing with an angle bracket and screws from the exterior of the organizer.

Finally, I secured the front piece, adding screws everywhere you see arrows above.

Then I wood filled all the screw holes and joints.

And painted the organizer, adding a few cup hooks for hair ties on the side. It looks way better than all that junk just sitting out, right?

I love the nightstand too! It was a garage sale flip, and you can see the full before and after here!

• Scrap Wood
  • Screws
  • Angle Bracket

Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Lindsay Fay