Jonathan Adler Inspired Candle Holders

$15

Move over Modern Farmhouse, it's time for some city glamour.

jonathanadler.com

I just adore Jonathan Adler’s Globo range! Glitzy glass orbs set in brass. I want all of it. I want, I want, I want! But I can’t, I can’t, I can’t...So here is my humble DIY version. Perhaps someone over there will see my design brilliance and offer me a job.

It involves some clean, body-lotion plastic lids...

And some small plastic shot glasses. Hey, I said it's humble okay.

I put my glorious plastic in a spray booth, elevated on wooden blocks and tack.

And gave it a coat of plastic primer.

Then followed it with a coat of Rustoleum Metallic in Gold Rush. The Gold Rush is not particularly glitzy but I thought I could at least play it safe because gold on plastic can look very tacky very quickly. I actually would have liked to experiment with a shinier colour. Next time.

My biggest win was finally finding some enormous, non-swirly marbles. They seem to be in short supply over here and Amazon is not an option. I found some in a really obscure shop and there were exactly three colours. But oh, the joys of a successful treasure hunt! No Jonathan Adler pinks and mints then but who cares.

I was concerned that one of the marbles would come loose and turn into a mini-wrecking ball so I tried the strongest sounding glue I could find. There is a balance to be struck on how much of the stuff one uses. On the one hand you want to use as much as possible to make things stick but on the other hand there is a point where it squelches out and looks ugly.

Finally I added some candles. If they don't fit perfectly use some tack or wax to position them.

So, Jonathan, about the job...

27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized