How to Transform a Cake Stand Into a Mosaic Trivet

3 materials
$5

When I saw this unused silver foil and styrene cake stand I thought it would make a good size trivet pot stand and as I love working with mosaic it seemed the perfect creative experiment .

how to transform a cake stand into a mosaic trivet, Cake stand transformation
Cake stand transformation

I decide on which mosaic tiles colours and plan out the design. I like the contrast between bright and colourful and black borders.

how to transform a cake stand into a mosaic trivet, Choosing mosaic tiles
Choosing mosaic tiles

I begin to glue down the border tiles with PVA and make sure I space them evenly.

how to transform a cake stand into a mosaic trivet, Glue mosaic tiles
Glue mosaic tiles

Working my way around border and inwards with repeat patterns of colour mix and the black row to break up and contrast.

Glue mosaic tiles
how to transform a cake stand into a mosaic trivet, Centre piece
Centre piece

I let the tiles dry overnight and begin next day to working on the bottom reverse side. I choose do a red and white glass contrast tiles.

how to transform a cake stand into a mosaic trivet, Cutting tile to fit design
Cutting tile to fit design

I use wheeled tile nippers to cut a tile into triangle shape to fit the centre of the design .

Next is grouting to cement ans seal. I like to use an easy smooth ready mix black grout with a stiff cardboard applicator and work it into all the crevices .

how to transform a cake stand into a mosaic trivet, Grouting
Grouting
Grouting

Cleaning the excess grout off with wet wipes takes some patience but the design begins to reveal its beauty and come alive!

how to transform a cake stand into a mosaic trivet, Cleaning grout off
Cleaning grout off

I decide to raise it off the work surface a little with cork feet and attach four stick on feet to the base.

My colourful pot stand is ready to be loved and put to use.

how to transform a cake stand into a mosaic trivet, Putting cork feet on base
Putting cork feet on base
how to transform a cake stand into a mosaic trivet, Mosaic Pot trivet
Mosaic Pot trivet
how to transform a cake stand into a mosaic trivet, Mosaic pot trivet
Mosaic pot trivet

Questions on this post

Your question...
Next