How do I fix a hall table with antique stain


The table has a distressed wood look and the technique is starting to peel off in small chunks. "

q how do i fix a hall table with antique stain
  19 answers
  • Em Em on Jan 16, 2021

    It would be very hard to match this. What is underneath? It looks to be cardboard. If it is wood, scrape it off and redo the top. You can buy crackle medium where chalk paint is sold.

  • Janice Janice on Jan 16, 2021

    Hi Jane, the best way to redo the crackle is to remove and start over. Here's how to do crackle using Elmer's white glue. There are also several youtube videos out there to guide you if you prefer to see the steps rather than reading about them.

  • William William on Jan 16, 2021

    Looks like a crackle finish over particle board. Janice is correct. You would need to start over. Seal the particle board with polyurethane before doing the crackle.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jan 16, 2021

    Hi! I would strip it and refinish it. A patch is going to show, probably. If you like the finish, you could try fixing that one area. Odds are, as I said, it probably won't match, but, you could try it first. Honestly, I thought it was "alligatoring" of old varnish when I first saw it! Good luck and stay safe!

  • Betsy Betsy on Jan 17, 2021

    Hi Jane: Perhaps the table wasn't prepped correctly. What you might do is to use Citristrip to remove the entire thing and start over, making sure that the preparation is right before you continue. Citristrip is easy to use, smells nice and does a great job. I'm afraid if you try to patch it, it won't look very good and you will always notice where it was 'fixed'.

    Good luck

  • You will need to remove it, it will just keep coming off. It looks like normal paint with a crackle effect so very simple to do.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 17, 2021

    Hello there,

    This is a Cracklelure finish. Made by a Chemical reaction of one product on top of another. The only way to try and fix this would be to stripe it off and start again, that is unless you are an artist, whereby you might be able to replicate it artificially, using paints.

  • Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Jan 17, 2021

    I think you need to scrape and repaint

  • Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Jan 17, 2021

    If you decide to use the Elmer’s Glue crackle method, my experience is is that you have to work very very fast and don’t over work it.

    If you use the Hyde Glue method, you’ve got a lot of time for the glue application, but the top coat paint application is also go-fast and no over working it.

    How’s about masking off the middle & repainting the border in a solid color?

  • Sharon Sharon on Jan 17, 2021

    You could a) scrape it off, and then put a new crackle finish on it, or paint it solid; b) paint the damaged area base coat the same color as the original in the damaged area, and then do your crackle medium on top to try to match it. I would suggest practicing a a few boards until you get it looking the same. You buy crackle medium in the paint section of the store where specialty paints are.

  • V Smith V Smith on Jan 17, 2021

    Crackle's time had passed. Scrape it off and give your table an update with a different medium. You can fill in with wood lathe, tile, cement, decoupage paper or fabric then cover with glass, or lay pennies and cover them with a 2 part epoxy. Let your freak flag fly.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jan 18, 2021

    It needs to be stripped of the crackle, sealed with polyurethane, and then go to a new finish or re-paint.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jan 18, 2021

    At this point, stripping and refinishing would be your best best. Citristrip is a mild stripper, just make sure you remove before it starts to dry.

  • This will definitely need to be stripped, this should help:

  • Jane Jane on Jan 18, 2021

    Thanks to all for the very helpful suggestions.

  • Annie Annie on Jan 20, 2021

    If you were real patient and good with a artists brush you could paint it. But if the original is a stick on layer then there is not much you can do . Perhaps look for another product that can give it the same look and redo the whole table.... Good luck..

  • Jane Jane on Jan 20, 2021

    Thanks for taking the time to answer - very helpful

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Jan 29, 2021

    Here are some ideas you can look at[]=How%20do%20I%20fix%20a%20hall%20table%20with%20antique%20stain%7Ctyped

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Jul 31, 2021

    cover all and do new one .. it is a crackle that you can do yourself super easy