Easy DIY Accent Wall Tutorial

$80

I’m sharing an easy DIY accent wall tutorial with you and how you can achieve this look on your own.

An easy DIY wood accent wall is a budget friendly home decor idea that adds character to your space.

I did a lot of research on feature walls including DIY wall panel molding, board and batten accent wall, wallpaper. I decided a simple DIY wood trim accent wall or plank wall will be the best way to go. Once I figured out that I was going with an accent wood wall. It was time to figure out the pattern.

I’m a bit old school when it comes to drawing up plans and typically put my plans on paper.

Supply List:

1. 1X2 boards (I got 1x2x8ft)
  2. 2 inch Finishing Nails
  3. Caulk
  4. Spackling paste
  5. Painter’s Tape
  6. Roller paint brush
  7. Angle Paint brush
  8. Primer for wood
  9. Paint of your choice

Tools Used:

1. Miter Saw
  2. Brad Nail Gun
  3. Stud Finder
  4. Leveler tool
  5. Sanding Tool
  6. Tape Measure

Using the stud finder, I marked up the wall. The next step was to figure out the 8 sections with multiple spacing to avoid studs. I went through and marked up the wall using the spacing that was configured. Once this was done, it was time to frame the wall and add the vertical boards. The walls in this room are taller than 8 foot, so it required piecing wood together seamlessly to create each lined section.

The next step was to start adding the sections to create the herringbone pattern. I used a digital angle finder to get the degree for my cuts, the edges are all at a 45-degree angle, so I knew it would be less. However, if you do not have this on hand, you can grab a piece of wood and make a mark on where you would like the cuts to be. With a little trial and error, you can figure out the miter cuts you need to make. Mine was right at 30 degrees.

This stage is critical to ensuring that your accent wood wall DIY looks like a professional finish. I started out by covering all the lines where wood meets wood with spackling paste. This process allows you to hide the joints and gives it a seamless look. Once applied, use a sanding tool to remove excess to create a flush look with the wood.

The next step is to caulk all areas were the wood meets the wall. You also caulk to fill in holes created by your brad nailer and any additional holes naturally occurring on the wood.

Cover all edges with painter’s tape, apply primer to the wood portion using an angled paint brush and allow to dry. You could skip this step if you bought your wood already primed or if you primed it prior to application. Then apply paint of your choice and let dry and your wall is done.

Love the way it turned out.

Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Torie | ScotsHill House

• Valerie Burge
    Valerie Burge

That looks so fantastic!! Love it! Did you use a brad nailer to attach the trim to the wall? And if so, is the wall behind it drywall? I'd love to do a trimming like this but not sure how to attach it to the drywall. I also don't have a brad nailer, but maybe some day. LOL

• Valerie Burge
      Valerie Burge

I can't believe they referred to you as a spinster, Suellen!!!  But I guess that's pretty much what I am. haha. I actually have a ton of power tools. I usually ask for them for presents as you suggested and some of them I bought at auctions etc. And I inherited lots from my stepdad too. I think the next one on my wish list is going to be a router table. After that, brad nailer!!! Thanks so much for the great tips! :)

• Sandy Dills
    Sandy Dills

This looks awesome!!! Been begging my husband to do something like this I was just wondering was it a long process or could it be done in a day or at least a weekend?

• Trudy
      Trudy

Sandy, why are you waiting for your husband? Do some more research and start it yourself. I bet he will jump in! If he doesn't, you got this girl!