Asked on Jan 18, 2021

Bad concrete contractors that refuse to fix problems? I need advice



I had the side on my newly built home concreted my license contractors. There was a few problems that occurred that I mentioned to the owner which to them they “corrected” but when I returned home to the correction they did more damage than anything.

One major problem that needing fixing was they caused the cement to slope causing my HVAC unit to pool water. There version of correction was unbelievable, they bought some cheap looking cement and then on top of that placed my HVAC unit on wet cement. I called them to notify them that this must have been a mistake that there is no way that placing my HVAC unit on wet cement is any good. There was response to me was that it will make it more stable. That didn’t sit well with me, sure enough I contacted HVAC team and they immediately told me that’s a big no it can cause unit to become not leveled and cause other issues. I notified the owner and he argued with me that my unit is not on direct cement and that it is lifted on 2x4s I again told him this is not the case. He ignored what I said and demand I pay the remaining balance of 1,300. (I’ve already paid 2,500) Took pictures and sent them to him. Then later texted him that HVAC memebers are unable to come over the weekend and Monday is a holiday and don’t have an appt until Tuesday. By then my unit will be cemented in place.

additionally they also broke part of my fence and made a mess with the concrete all over my fence and parts of my stucco was damaged and again corrected it in a way that is so unacceptable.

also did not pour concrete to the ground exposing the under gravel.

please check out these terrible photos

what should I do next? I have emailed them with photos additionally and let them know of the unsatisfactory work.

15 answers
  • Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita
    on Jan 19, 2021

    I does look like sloppy work. Maybe get advise from another contractor in the same field.

  • Buck
    on Jan 19, 2021

    I am a retired mason, It is possible they don't know how to do the right job. I wouldn't pay them till you are happy with the work. Times are dad with the unemployment so high people are just trying to do jobs they don't know anything about, are they licensed & Insured. If you are not happy get in touch with Better Business. next time DON"T shop price, use someone recommended. The work should still be there after you forget the cost Good Luck

  • Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law
    on Jan 19, 2021

    Report them to the Better Business Bureau and Angie's List as well as any neighborhood forums you can find. I hope you were able to get your unit lifted before the concrete set. This is horrible! When you settle the bill, deduct any additional costs you have incurred correcting their errors.

  • Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner
    on Jan 19, 2021

    You must get the a/c unit free of concrete asap! Not only can it cause the unit to not be level, how on earth will you be able to replace it in the future?

    Do NOT pay them another cent! Have another licensed contractor come out and write up precisely what all issues are and the costs of repairing them. Then, take your paperwork and pictures and file a case in Small Claims Court to not only get all the money back that you've paid out but also the amount needed to correct all problems. As long as you go in totally prepared with all info (include pics of the areas from prior to their work also) and the money involved with each step (them, removing problems they caused and the cost to do the work properly) you should be in good state to win the case. Small Claims Court does not require an attorney but if you have a lawyer friend, so much the better! Good luck!

    btw...a report to the Better Business Bureau or Angie's List etc. does nothing to resolve the problems or get funds back.

  • Agree with Robyn. Are they licensed and insured? If so file a claim against their license / insurance with the Contractors State Licensing Board. Going after their livelihood and pocketbook always gets their attention. And again, don't pay one red cent more. Also, all further communication must be via email, certified mail with return receipt to prove your requests are legitimate or they will not hold up in court. Phone conversations are a he said / she said and will not be looked upon favorably without proof and your documentation. The photos illustrate sloppy work product. Get at least 3 bids from LICENSED AND INSURED CONTRACTORS to prove cost to repair. Agree with filing in small claims, but if necessary, hire a Construction Defect attorney. It is a specialized field, the local "Jack of all trades" attorney will not be familiar with the building codes in your area, get the right person for the job. This is not a speedy remedy, so be prepared to stand your ground, the eventual outcome will be worth the wait. So so sorry this happened to you. Keep us updated. Good luck!

  • Sharon
    on Jan 19, 2021

    I would request them in writing to make the necessary repairs, can be an email, to repair the defects or you will seek legal action... you can do small claims court for up to $5,000. If they are licensed by the state contractor's board, they usually have website where you can file a grievance against them.

    I also get on the internet and post bad reviews on Yelp, Angies List, and whatever local sites you have.... this affects their business which I find they respond to pretty fast.

  • Sharyl
    on Jan 20, 2021

    Thank you all for the great advice!

    One of the owners got in contact with me, again discussed about the poor work and about the AC unit. He states he will come by when the HVAC contractors come because he still believes he’s in the right and caused no damages. For my damaged stucco he’s reply “we don’t have your house paint” I said well that’s not my problem this is damaged caused by your company. My husband doesn’t even want them to step on our property and try to fix things at Thai point since they already “corrected” it.

    Do I have to make them try and fix it again? If they already tried once and failed? Or can I find estimates other places and take this all to small claims to cover the costs?

  • William
    on Jan 20, 2021

    Do not pay a single penny to the contractor. You have everything properly documented. Get another contractor out there and have him state and document what is wrong and how to correct it. Have the work done and take the first contractor to court. Do it quick because he can put a lien on your property for non payment and also take you to court. You may want to contact and get advice from an attorney or your local court system

  • Betsy
    on Jan 20, 2021

    Hi Sharyl: This is why we have courts :) I wouldn't contact them again, I'd just start a court case and take them to court. Take your pictures and any correspondence you have between them and you, including texts, phone messages, writings, etc. I'd ask for court costs and to have another contractor to do the repair work as, and this is an important phrase to use, "You have lost faith in them". Take really good pictures of the area so the judge can see what was done. If the company says not to take them to court and they will 'fix' the problem, I'd tell them it's way too late for that. I would no longer trust them to do a good job.

    Good luck

  • Mogie
    on Jan 20, 2021

    Did you speak with the owner of the business that performed the work? Are they licensed and bonded? Did you have a contact? Keep every piece of paper from them, log ALL phone calls noting the date, time, who you spoke to and the basic conversation topic and/or promises made.

    If they won't do anything to fix this then call a lawyer. The law can be different from state to state.

    Don't pay them any money until this is taken care of. If they get paid they have zero motive for returning.

  • Kmdreamer
    on Jan 21, 2021

    Take lots of pictures of all damage and all work they did wright or wrong .don’t pY them the balance till they fix it to your liking .then report them to the Better business bureau. And the consumer protection and ,make shure they have a license,insurance,and they are registered with the state your in. Weather they fix or not report them even go through the states attorney.

  • Kmdreamer
    on Jan 21, 2021

    they will have thenm fix it and pay you or do jail

  • Kmdreamer
    on Jan 21, 2021

    Don’t pY them anymore money.

  • Annie
    on Jan 23, 2021

    Is there a BBB in your area. If so report the contractor. I would not let them do ant further work. The Poor concrete work should be replaced. The Hvac should be removed, the concrete cut, and a separate, slightly elevated pad poured for the hvac unit to sit on. Hope you get it fixed..

  • Katie
    on Jan 25, 2021

    Im with Annie call the BBB also I would get attorney and take him to court. I wouldnt use him to do the job. He doesnt care about this at all. Find out if you can get what you paid already half of that. Hope all goes well and definitly call bbb.

Your comment...