Asked on Jan 19, 2021

Updating dining room

Sophie’s momFlipturnJS
+15

The lighting in my dining room has a crackle finish that was in style when I built the house in 2005. My husband built the oak Mediterranean style bread board table and I reupholstered the parson chairs. The house is Old World style with a stone fireplace that goes up 20 feet to a vaulted ceiling and dark oak handscraped flooring throughout. I would like to do something to the lights. Any ideas?

• Judy in Canton.
    Judy in Canton.

It's all lovely as it is but I understand that sometimes a person needs a little change. I would paint the bases of all the lighting fixtures in matt black and either make or buy tiffany style glass shades. It would still maintain the old world style and simplicity of the room.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

You can paint the metal with a high heat paint for an updated bronze look.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Just spray painting over the crackle with a dark paint - like oil rubbed bronze will help to update them. :)

• Sharon
    Sharon

I would sand the metal areas to remove the crackle, or use paint stripper.... then get some Rustoleum bronze metallic paint to update it.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

you can paint the light fixture and add new globes if you want to

here is how to paint it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu5s_DMSEmg

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

You could take a look at Home Depot or Lowes and freshen up the space with a new light fixture! Usually they aren't too expensive and it'll give you exactly what you want.

• Dee
    Dee

Wow I absolutely love your dining room set. What a beautiful job you both did. Rustoleum now makes a no sand primer. I would lightly spray primer on the fixtures, I would use either oil rubbed bronze or a metallica bronze. You can purchase new globes, but I think everything falls into place in your dining room. I love it.

William

Paint

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=paint%20light%20fixture

• Mogie
    Mogie

I would remove the crackle and give them a coat or two or a deep brown spray paint. That would freshen them up while still holding onto the med. look.

A quick look at globes for sale in a big box store would be good also. New globes and the frame touched up would make this light look new.

Betsy

Hi Sophies Mom: I'd change out the light holders and maybe spray paint the holder. It's beautiful as is.

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

You could re paint the light go right over what’s there just do 2 coats

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello I think I am possibly eliminating the crackle finish might be a nice clean update. Spray paint could be your perfect solution

• Annie
    Annie

Your local paint store will have a variety of paints with different textures. Plus you can probably find some different glass shads as well... Good luck

• JS
    JS

I'am made $84, 8254 so far this year working online and I'm a full time student. Im using an online business opportunity I heard about and I'AM made such great money. It's really user friendly and I'm just so happy that I found out about it. Heres what I do,.for more information simply open this link ....☛www.dollars9.com

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Advert above has been reported as Spam to Hometalk.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Yes, I say paint the frame, as the crackled look is now outdated.

I am wondering what the possibility might be of, (since the fixture will be down off the ceiling anyway to repaint it) trying to rethread the wires in the opposite direction through the centre post? Would there be enough width for the finial?

Turn the fixture upside down, replace the glass shades with a newer design, then rehang the fixture. The frame shape would look entirely different, and the lights would then be shining down on the table instead of up to the

ceiling. No-glare-bottom bulbs are available for wide neck shades.

• Sophie’s mom
    Sophie’s mom

My husband sprayed them an oil rubbed bronze. They turned out great!