Pantry Makeover & Organization

$200

Its one of those spaces that never looks pretty... the pantry! I set out to tackle this tiny area by not only providing organization and function, but also some style! And it was easy!

I mean just look at it BEFORE! No judging, I know yours probably looks similar! 🤪

First, clean out! Any good project needs a clean slate to begin. That way I can organize as I put stuff back in.

I really wanted my shelves to have a wood look but I also didn't want to demo the existing built-in shelves or build new ones. So I’m going to fake it by covering them with 1/4 inch plywood and 1x2 trim.

I used my jigsaw to cut out the shape and size of my pantry shelves.

And then simply laid the plywood on top.

Heres what it looks like. Now to cover these fronts...

I glued and nailed 1x2 boards to the fronts and now it looks like they were always meant to be wood! Plus it made them look thicker without actually sacrificing space.

Next I stained. In hindsight it would have been easier to stain all my wood before installing. I just had to be careful not to get it on my walls.

Wood shelving hack!

Finally, the backs of the shelves needed a little extra something so I added this wallpaper.

Lastly, some organization! I found these bins

And these baskets are similar to the ones I got

18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!

• Arlene
    Arlene

Wouldn't it be easier to wallpaper first?

• Arlene
      Arlene

I did not mean to criticise. I think it looks great.

• Lois
    Lois

Is the plywood put on top of the shelves to have something to glue/nail the fronts into?

• Trish F
      Trish F

I'm sure that is part of the reason, but it also makes the shelves sturdier and if you have anything with legs (think crock pot) they won't fall through the slats of a wire shelf

• Pat
    Pat

How was the shelves attached? My side walls thin. Cannot use nails.

• Lauren Gonzales
    Lauren Gonzales

This is my exact size and looks of my pantry so this is something I would love! I have no space left in it though and honestly, I am unsure where everything would fit... canned goods, storage bags, foils, and wraps as I have an overflow pantry in my mud-room now for canned goods, etc. I do and would love to try it though!

• Ken Peterson
      Ken Peterson

Now that sounds like a super idea of putting in say a half the width shelf in between, but remember how tall the things are you are storing . you might just block yourself in.

• SANDRA MOORE
    SANDRA MOORE

Beautiful job. I don't know how the shelf supports were attached but it would have been easier to wallpaper if the supports could have been removed. Cutting and fitting all those individual pieces was such a lot of work.